Fly Tying
wnctroutbum

soft hackle?

I am pretty new to fly tying and I was wordering how is the best way to buy soft hackle, and where to get it? Can I buy soft hackle without buying A whole cape? any help would be great. thanks in advance

You use hen capes for soft hackles. I use partridge or brown hen capes for them. I think they were between $10 and $20. Buy the cape. L Stockard sells them.

Jeremy

If you are talking about the hungarian partridge - buy the cape. The hackles in the bags ($3) are dry and brittle - plus you really have to look through the bag to find just a few good ones. Spend the $28 and you get a huge choice of nice hackles that are not brittle (this is due to the oil in the skin). Well worth the money to me.

Hi, wnctroutbum. I agree with luvabug about the partridge. In the long run, you'll be saving money and get more choice feathers in various sizes by buying the whole skin. I use a number of different capes and saddles for soft hackles. Hen, India Hen, partridge, guinea and my favorite...starling. As far as where to get it... I get most of my material from J. Stockard.

Mike

Hi,

Another supplier that I really like is Blue Ribbon Flies. If the full partridge skin seems too expensive right now, you can use a quail skin or hen back. Also, get on the Blue Ribbon Flies mailing list, they usually announce availability of "pro-tier" grade partridge skins in the winter. These are usually about $15, and have some cosmetic defect that keeps them from the retail peg-board.

By the way, you will not regret getting a full partridge skin. That is the best way (and the best feathers).

Good luck!

John

Some other excellent sources for small soft body feathers for spider hackles include the JV capes direct only from Conranch Hackle (a google or bing search will find them for you), Whiting Brahma Hen Saddles and Whiting Hen Sets with both the saddle and the cape. These all provide a multitude of colors and patterns in sizes suitable for spiders and American style soft hackles. They are all also very reasonably priced. For Hungarian partridge skins try to get one from a wild bird as they have superior pattern/color in the feathers.

another inexpensive soft hackle is the rump feathers of pheasant....available from most suppliers for two or three bucks....

Woodcock feathers make some nice SH's,also ruffed grouse.If your going with Hungarian Partridge try and buy at a local shop so you can look it over.The last one I got came from a mail order catalog and it was pretty much crap for use on soft hackles.

Whiskey Creek makes a good point. I have a friend here on the Little Red that was taught fly tying and fly fishing by Art Flick and the Darbees in the Catskills of New York. He says while a prime grouse or partridge skin is a great thing to have for some, a tiers grade or a grade 2 cape may have more of the sized feathers a beginning tier may need .. maybe more in the 12, 14 and 16 size range. I'm like Halcyon too. I am on the way too frequent buyer plan at Conranch also. The JV hen is probably the easiest hackle I have tried for tying soft hackles. Lots of great assorted colors, too.

Mike

most websites that sell metz hen capes are selling them REALLY cheap! your better to buy a cape as someone mentiond the packet bought are dry and not good quality, and i agree a English/hungarian partridge skin is a good way to go about it, there covered in a nice range of colours grey,white,brown and mixed so you dont need 5 different hen capes and you get the wings and tail too

tight lines

Id get the hun cape and starling for small, dark bugs. I can get you what youd like, as well.

any bird that is not on the governments protected list will yield feathers suitable for tying soft hackles. where you get them well thats up to you.

Network with some upland game bird folks and you'll get a lifetime supply for free!

And woodcock is absolutely beautiful! My buddy gave me a couple skins:

Riley's%20Fancy%20wing2.jpg