Fly Tying
agn54

Redfish swap

Well, here it is...Not sure what to call it, asked for some help in the saltwater section. Will be tying it in the bright color combo shown due to the clear cold water prevalent this time of year, am also considering a chartreuse combo in deference to Lefty Kreh's "if it ain't chartreuse, it ain't no use" wisdom.

Wanted to go for a general shrimp / crab type attractor kind of gizmo.

Cheers.....dave

P1010664.jpg

Very cool looking fly. I don't have any odeas for a name but it looks like it will sure catch fish. Is that EZ shape sparkle on the head?

Thanks AGN, It's Sparkly Glitter Glue from Hobby Lobby, stuffs like $1.00 or $2.00 bucks a bottle...But it's a secret, so don't tell anyone :lol:

P1010670.jpg

Is registration still open - if so I would like to get in with a my version of a oysterfish.

008-2.jpg

Hey Chalk,

I've never heard of Crooked Island...is it close to Panama City ;) So how has the fishing been for you, I see that you have done well with the IFA...Good to see Panama City boys put big numbers on the board.

Seems I remember you changed boats, but can't remember to what , I'm still fishing a blue 17 Sterling, stop and say hey if you see us on the water...Still fish CIS and West Bay, but have been fishing St Joe more and more when not traveling for work.

Look forward to seeing that oyster fish, bet it's got a sweet action in the water, God knows I need all the help I can get with the long rod :D

See ya on the water....dave (the artist formally known as the FSFF CaliforniaRedneck)

BTW nine flies down, will be complete Friday.

We fished St. Joe Monday - was so foggy the world seemed upside down at times :blink: ....Will do if I see a Blue Sterling....I have a yeller Maverick HPX tunnel. Tournies were fun but they took away from chasing poons and reds on the fly....I'm chasing poons this year :headbang:

So is the swap open or closed?

We're still open, welcome aboard Chalk thanks for joining. I don't know what an oysterfish is but that fly looks great. Sorry for the delayed response, but I was away for a few days.

We still have room for 1 more so if anyone else wants in, now is the time to join. In any case this is going to be a badass swap, but hopefully we can get 1 more to join so I can close it out.

well I would like to get in thats ok.

What size hooks would you suggest for the flies?

Welcome to the swap txflytier, thanks for joining. That fills us up so we are now closed.

Any hook size from #4 to 1/0 is about average for redfish flies.

Love those CLIFF boxes chalk. Their the best! Nice fly by the way. I can see a red chompin' on that one in my near future!

You a lefty Flatz? Nice vise, and those look killer!

I havent even started mine, this week was tough at work so Im gonna fish ALL weekend. Had good luck today with trout. They were thumpin hard!

post-12078-1261286091_thumb.jpg

Love those CLIFF boxes chalk. Their the best! Nice fly by the way. I can see a red chompin' on that one in my near future!

I havent even started mine, this week was tough at work so Im gonna fish ALL weekend. Had good luck today with trout. They were thumpin hard!

fill fish is that what your tying for the swap ? nice fish is that a trout i cant tell what kind of fish it is . it looks big though

NIce uber trout, pink fly and yellow mouth look nice together. We haven't been out for three weeks :crying: work, weather, and repainting the spare room have kept us too busy, will make time next week... might even go christmas day!

Been left handed all my life ;) but don't let the vise fool you... I tie right handed, made it easier to learn (Borski videos), also golf and toss a cast net same way, same reason.