Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
smallieFanatic

Just what is your all-time favorite bass fly?

For smallies on the Conewago, Susquehanna, Yellow Breeches, or the Juniata, I'd say the Black or Olive Wooly Bugger. It's nothing special, but it gets the job done! Sometimes making more of a "Flash-a-bugger" pattern works well too!

Also. for Largemouth, I like using Olive/ Black/ Purple/ or Chartreuse Rabbit Strip Leeches.

Two simple flies that get the job done.

Although, I fish a lot of bucktail patterns too.

I tie lots of things. But, what I've listed are my favs.

Fish hard and Tight lines!

Not that it catches the most fish, but it is the most fun to fish...for largemouth bass a big popper, tied on something like a Size 2 stinger hook.

Don't know I'd say it is my favorite, but after today it might be an Irresistible! :lol:

I just this minute came in from fishing down on one of my ponds, where I was using

an awful looking Irresistible that I'd culled to my "pond fly box" a long time ago. I

mean...this thing was ugly (I'm embarrassed I ever tied it). I caught 8 bass in a little

under twenty minutes. Granted, none of them were over 1 1/2-2 pounds, but it was

sure fun. The last day or two we've had thunderstorms and a cool front move in, so

that probably helped.

To answer your question...I'd probably say a popper of some sort. I love

it when the bass explode on the surface!

Mike

Bouface, Barr's Slump Busters (not just for trout!), and maybe one of Rich Strolis's Marabou Muddler - that's a great fly that has it's moments.

Guest rich mc

after thinking about it it's the sneaky pete .it casts well has a good wide hook andcatches fish on top.only problem is here in illinois its only works well for a few months of theyear

The chartreuse sparkle grub that I told you about is definitely my favorite. Then, as I also said, anything chartreuse is awesome!

No favorite yet but a purple bead head bugger has worked well for me this year. I still don't have any poppers I should really look into getting some of those kits from J. Stockards to get me going. I have an airbrush to have some fun with them.

olive woolly bugger and an orange dave's hopper imitation. always have worked well for me.

favorite no doubt is a deer hair bug. For sheer numbers though, some type of streamer is hard to beat. Something about watching a bass take a bug on the surface adds to the enjoyment- when you can see the take. I've seen a lot of fish hit my subsurface flies and it's always great, but not quite like a surface hit.

Tap's Bug deer hair popper, all white with a red front on a size 2 Tiemco TMC8089 or size 2/0 Gamakatsu B10S (these hooks are exactly the same size despite the size indicated by the manufacturer). I have caught countless largemouths (and a few stripers) on the surface with these things using all manner of retrieves from motionless to skipping across the surface at high speed. A classic bass fly invented by H. G. Tapply of "Tap's Tips" fame. I never enter bass waters without a few of these in the box.

-- Mike