Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
satchelo

gluing hackle to parachute post

Hi

What glue is best to use to secure hackle to parachute post instead of tying down hackle with thread

satchelo

I'm not really familiar with the concept, but I suppose a waterproof superglue applied to the post before wrapping the hackle might do the trick. I would still be worried about it coming loose. It may also depend on the material of the post (I'm guessing foam). I personally just like the security of a couple of thread wraps. Just my $.02

i like zap a gap as it dries quickly. However i tend away from gluing these days as I dont like the stiff post that glue makes. However it is the cleanest and easiest way to tie in the hackle.

I use regular super-glue. I apply it with a syringe (I'm diabetic, so I have an unlimited supply)

I poke the syringe into the base of the post, being careful not to use so much that it wicks up the post.

The glue seems to stay liquid in the syringe for the duration of my tying sessions.

You can also use a toothpick or bodkin to apply it, but the syringe works best to get into the tight spots.

Hi, satchelo. I've always tied down my parachute hackle, either with a whip-finish behind the eye, or by taking three horizontal thread wraps around the base of the post below the lower most hackle wrap (catching and securing the hackle), followed with 3 neat half-hitches behind the eye. I believe Al Beatty sometimes uses this later method and it certainly cuts down on any thread bulk at the head of the fly. I'm sure gluing the hackle to the post is fine, I have just always preferred tying off.

Mike

Good Day,

I am with Whatfly, no glue. In fact, I think it may result in a weaker fly that will fall apart quickly as the trouts' teeth take their toll. Better to use thread. Make 6-8 wraps of thread up the shank of the parachute. Then with your scissors trim a few barbules off the shaft equal to the distance of the thread wraps. NEVER pull the feather fibers off, this makes for a weakend fly. The feather fibers work like a velcro anchor and strengthens the parachute. Wrap all the way to the base with each wrap touching the pervious wrap. Then, gently pull on the feather to tighten the wraps, but not so hard as to break the feather. Gently pull back the parachute feather wraps to expose a clean area to tie off and get a neat head. Tie off feather, finish dubbing and tie off. This method will give you a parachute that will last a good long time.

Steelie

This year I stopped tying the hackle off on my parachute flies and I mostly fish parachutes since I think they work better as they sit in the film. I tie in my tail, then post and and the hackle on the hook and up the post, then dub on the body and then whip finish. I put a small droplet of gel super glue on the post facing the eye, then wrap the hackle down the post and let the hackle hang down the opposite with the plier for a few seconds, rotate upside down and trim. It faster, cleaner and also allows for a neater body. Haven't had an issue with durability, it might even be a bit stronger. The caveat is that this only works down to a size 18 then the glue gets a bit unwieldy. Though I like the syringe idea, that might work for tiny flies.... I'll need to find some friends with needles.

interesting method Bruce, as the combination of both thread and glue should make it rock solid.

i wonder though if the glue doesn't get on the hackle as the thread is being wound ?

seems like that might hinder flotation. just a guess.

i'll give it a go and see how it works. thanks for sharing that video.

i particularly like the idea of winding over the hackle with the thread (no glue) to reinforce it. B)

cheers,

marc

Saltydog, be careful with the syringes - they are SHARP! If you find friends who are diabetic, would suggest mooching or buying UNUSED needles from them. I've been told you can buy syringes from the pharmacy if you explain what you'll be using them for.

Thanks for the warning, I was going to head into Philly and grab a few left overs from the heroin addicts :D

I have a few friends that I should be able to grab a supply from.