Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MasterShake

fly tying benches

I was wondering if any of you use benches? The small organization centers you can sit on your lap or a table top? I was on e-bay today and I saw a pretty nice looking on with an etched rainbow trout on it for less than $50.00 and I was wondering if any of you pros use them? Thanks!

I'm no pro but I use a bench I made and that I sell for $40 that you can choose what you want burned into it like this one

post-10925-1251579667_thumb.jpg

The one on e-bay looked nicer. I just don't know how to insert a link.

I was mainly wondering if alot of people use them?

I made one from oak plywood a few years ago, and I use it sometimes, but not real often. I may use it more in the near future though. In comparison to Riffle's woodwork, mine looks paleolithic, but it works.

I took over my wife's desk, its enormous and I can really spread out. It was easy to take over, I just spilled a jar of head cement on it.... took my beating and now that the bruises healed I have a great tying spot! :bugeyes: :bugeyes:

I use one all the time, even though I have a dedicated tying area. After I had been tying about 6 months, I began to realize where I would like my tools to be, so I built my bench to match my needs. I'm still using that same bench today, with a few modifications along the way. I even carry it when traveling if I have room in the car. My suggestion would be to look at where you like to find your tools, e.g. where are they handy, and find a bench that matches that layout or have one built for you to that layout.

TxEngr

My tying bench is 9 foot long, 3 foot wide and weighs about 300 pounds!

I have another, smaller one, butted up against it in an L-shape. I still never

have enough work space. Of course, my set-up isn't terribly mobile... :rolleyes:

Mike

Mike mine is built to sit on a desk to keep necessary tools within hands reach or for tying on a picnic table or your lap streamside works great for what it is meant for I also use a large computer desk as my main tying area with a 12 drawer cabinet on one side and a 3 drawer cabinet under the desk for storage of my materials

Mike mine is built to sit on a desk to keep necessary tools within hands reach or for tying on a picnic table or your lap streamside works great for what it is meant for I also use a large computer desk as my main tying area with a 12 drawer cabinet on one side and a 3 drawer cabinet under the desk for storage of my materials

Yep. I eventually need to get one for tying streamside/lodge/camp, RRSHS. When I do, I'll certainly give you a holler, if you have the time. I like the way you engraved the FTF logo in the top. Cool, cool. BTW, what kind of wood do you use?

Mike

I want to buy a desk but I couldnt swindle my mom into buying a nice mahogany desk for my "corner office". I'm looking at the oasis but I dunno... I'll be on the prowl for a perfect bench.

For my primary setup I have an old roll top desk. I took over a bedroom, so I have several rolling sets of drawers for materials. I also inherited a couple of sewing cabinets that have a roll down front over 11 drawers that are 12x18 and 3" deep.

However I am finding that your tying materials and flies will always expand to whatever room you have. I think my inventory of bugs has to be over 5000 by now. In addition to the flies I have tied, I have been in about 80 swaps. And the guy I fish with is a prolific tier who always give me a box when we go.

Frank aka Student4evr