Fly Tying
Wellman

Mongoose Montana vs HMH Spartan vs Griffin Patriot

I have narrowed my choices down 3 vises. Montana Mongosse (Griffin), HMH Spartan, Griffin Patriot. The one problem about the HMH is I can't find a Canadian dealer. I'm looking for more of a compacted vise. Don't how the Monogoose fits in, but I have my eye on it. <_<

If possible, I strongly suggest that you find a dealer or fellow fisherman who will let you tie on these vises before you purchase. Last year, I bought a Griffin Montana Mongoose online without tying on one first. It is well made, holds hooks well, has a good warranty, and comes with a lot of things that are optional on most vises. The trouble is that I don't really like tying on it. I have tied on quite a few vises since then and am thinking that the HMH Standard is the one for me.

I may put that on hold, though, because last weekend my wife and I went to Nashville to visit our daughter who is attending Vanderbilt. There was a garage sale three houses down from the one my daughter and her roommates rent. The woman's boyfriend had left her and had left quite a bit of his stuff behind and she was selling it. I saw a "Fly Fisherman Parking Only" sign on the wall of the garage and asked her if he had left any fishing tackle behind. She said no, but that he had left his fly tying stuff. I got a plastic tote full of materials and tools and a box of books and DVDs for $105. Also in the tote, was a Dyna-King Barracuda vise with a profile plate. I was overwhelmed at the deal I got. Anyway, even though the Dyna-King was not my first choice as a replacement for the Griffin, I'm going to tie on it for a few months to see how I like it. If not, then I'll go with the HMH.

None of the vises you have listed are cheap, so TRY BEFORE YOU BUY. Remember, you won't tie as often or get as much enjoyment out of tying if you are uncomfortable with or don't like your vise. Any information you get on this forum will be helpful, but remember that just because a vise is right for me doesn't mean it's right for you.

If possible, I strongly suggest that you find a dealer or fellow fisherman who will let you tie on these vises before you purchase. Last year, I bought a Griffin Montana Mongoose online without tying on one first. It is well made, holds hooks well, has a good warranty, and comes with a lot of things that are optional on most vises. The trouble is that I don't really like tying on it. I have tied on quite a few vises since then and am thinking that the HMH Standard is the one for me.

I may put that on hold, though, because last weekend my wife and I went to Nashville to visit our daughter who is attending Vanderbilt. There was a garage sale three houses down from the one my daughter and her roommates rent. The woman's boyfriend had left her and had left quite a bit of his stuff behind and she was selling it. I saw a "Fly Fisherman Parking Only" sign on the wall of the garage and asked her if he had left any fishing tackle behind. She said no, but that he had left his fly tying stuff. I got a plastic tote full of materials and tools and a box of books and DVDs for $105. Also in the tote, was a Dyna-King Barracuda vise with a profile plate. I was overwhelmed at the deal I got. Anyway, even though the Dyna-King was not my first choice as a replacement for the Griffin, I'm going to tie on it for a few months to see how I like it. If not, then I'll go with the HMH.

None of the vises you have listed are cheap, so TRY BEFORE YOU BUY. Remember, you won't tie as often or get as much enjoyment out of tying if you are uncomfortable with or don't like your vise. Any information you get on this forum will be helpful, but remember that just because a vise is right for me doesn't mean it's right for you.

kyflytyer- If you find that the Barracuda is not to your liking please PM me and I would be happy to make you a deal for it! :rolleyes:

I tied on the griffin patriot and really liked it as a vise. In my opinion it is under rated and often over looked. It can hold a hook as solid as anything and gives a lot of clearance all around to tie small stuff or big bass or saltwater. I found it a very simple vise to adjust (it does take an allen wrench for some adjustments but that wasn't a problem for me, it moved only when I wanted it to. Griffin was really good in customer service as well. I had to sell it and am sorry that I did. That said if you get a chance to tie on some different vises do it although I bought the patriot without tying on it and got used very quickly to it.

I ship to canada. PM Me on the HMH HMH is the best streamer vise of the bunch. I love my spartan. Alos HMH has the best customer service. If you have an issue you can deal with them direct and they will take care of you.

Listen to Day5, he's right sometimes and this is one them. Canada shipment = no problemo

I definetly go with HMH! Beside you can get the nice Tube head that work nice. Other than that I have my Renzetti vises for my regular tying. I have tried tying on on the others you mentioned and IMO they sucked and wasnt very comfortable.

I have had the griffin patriot. did not like the jaws for smaller hooks. I'm currently been tying on the Griffin Mongoose, I like it. It will hold hooks down to about size 20. This is the first rotary vise I have liked, with my big hands it gives at lot of room at the rear of the hook. Another feature I liked with the Mongoose was the padastal and clamp. The other bonus was the free tools.

carlp

another vote for the HMH!

my first vise was a griffin 3arp- funky thing...

then i got an HMH spartan- and for me- it was perfect- functional- yet simple- and made to last! i've been tyin' on the spartan for many years- and just got the HMH standard from JS during this vise sale they are having- i imagine this vise will last longer than i...

one thing- the new spartan has changed a bit- black powder coated chasis, pedestal has no knob and lever is smaller i believe... still a great value. here is a link- http://hmhvises.com/spartan.html

cheers,

clarkii

Ive only been tying for almost two years and my first vice was the griffin montana mongoose. Never had a problem with it and I have tied from 3/0 down to #28 on it. Although I noticed when photographed for the itsy bitsy swap and contest I notices a bit of a pinch in the hook on the fly photographed. The one thing I dont like about the vice is tying clouser in an upside down position. The position of the cam and armature make it difficult to easily access the hook.

I recently also got a great deal from a retiring fly tyer and it inlcluded a Regal vice. I have to say that if the Regal was full rotary I wouldnt tie on anything else. The ease and simplicity of the Regal is really great.

One more vote for the HMH We ship to Canada and would be happy to send you one. We ship these things worldwide. Everyone that gets them loves them. Simple to use, and durable. It will last you a lifetime. Let us know if we can help. Good luck.

I have the HMH standard, and it is killer, only real difference between the two are some cosmetic differences and a little longer shaft on which to rest your hand when tying in materials, other then that they are the same thing. Cant go wrong with HMH, true rotary is very over-rated IMO.

My first and only is a HMH. :yahoo: Ordered it in from J. Stockard (really). Love it except I've been having a hard time having it hold the hooks snug. :wallbash: Has to be the setting, yet I haven't found the combination yet. Getting too hard to ply, was actually thinking of looking for an easier lever. Except I love my HMH. Have to find the paper work somewhere on how to reset so as to hold hook firmly. And yes it does deter me from tying as often. :help: But the vise is excellent. :yahoo: