Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BigDaddyHub

Extended Body Green Drake

That is some sexy fly! Good work with all that hair!

The hook could be a tad smaller (shorter shank / bigger gap maybe?) but that is just minor.

Really like your wings. Inpiring!

Firetiger,

you're correct about the hook...I actually tied this with BIG panfish in mind, with trout as a secondary consideration...in the database, I make comment about using a smaller hook...the 2x hook is an attempt to compensate for the habit panfish have of "short striking" floating insects...will certainly tie it on a 1x standard hook for the 'bows. Probably should have gone with a 14 instead of a 12 for this one...the divided hair wings give it a fuller profile, even with the sparse hackle...should be a good floater on my streams...flows aren't too fast and aren't too slow, especially in the summer and fall months. Thank you for all the gracious comments...I have tied one in yellow for a Golden Mayfly and use a 2 mm foam back to separate the hair wings...great looking fly...have a similar one in a Drake" in the additional photos with this submission.

I actually tied this with BIG panfish in mind, with trout as a secondary consideration...

Ah, I know only little about panfish - I have seen only pictures of them, and on paper they look just lovable. Even the names - pumpkinseed, bluegill - are very poetic.

Good luck fishing for them!

was gar fishing a local stream late September and the crappie were busting a bunch of drakes that came off right at dusk...the gar were slurping them in as well. The big gills love the big mayfly patterns anytime the water is warm enough for shallow water activity.

Looks like a great pattern BDH!

Your avatar is great, looks at lot like the picture I took of my son Jaxon this morning except he is shrouded in a blanket and doesn't have a cool lion's mane. Im guessing that was from Halloween, Jax was a Monkey. Too much fun!

post-4153-1257366147_thumb.jpg