Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dubb J B

Acetone question...

Hey all - So I've been a little rough on my vise lately. Since winter is here I've been tying a bunch of simple little midge nymph stuff with thread bodies and superglue. Needless to say the glue is getting on my vise jaws and other parts. I was reading that acetone is the best way to breakdown and clean superglue but it can be hard on certain coatings. My vise is a renzetti traveller and I know it has a special black anodized coating to help hook hold and durability (no sure exactly what type of material it is). Anyway, will acetone harm that coating? Or is there a more benign way to clean superglue?

Jeez, did I really type a paragraph to ask such a simple question? :)

Thx!

Dubb, I wouldn't use acetone since it is caustic. The best way that I have found to get glue off of my vise jaws(presentation 2000) is to go to your local h-ware store and get the smallest plastic spackel blade and use that to scrape the glue off. If you apply just the right pressure it should pop right off. Another thing you can do, but you have to be very careful, is to take a razor blade..the ones that you can get a drugstore for shaving...and use your fingers to put an arch in it than run the blade along the outline of your jaws. As long as you can get under the glue with the blade it should pop right off. Sorry for the long explaination, I tend to over explain..That's the engineer in me coming out.lol

Hi Dubb, If the spackle method is not going easily, put the vice in the freezer over night and repeat in the morning, Cheers, Futzer.

So I managed to get most of it off by some gentle scraping. There's some residue still but it's mostly cosmetic. I may try the debonding agent as suggested to get er all shiny and new again. Thanks again to all.

Here is a tip to prevent the expoxy from sticking to your vise.

I wipe down my vise with a silicone treated cloth used for firearms.

These are avaialble in all gun stores and Wally world sporting dept.

It also works great on fly rods and reels, keeps the salt or gunk from sticking to the rods/reels.

Regards,

FK

Dubb, I wouldn't use acetone since it is caustic. The best way that I have found to get glue off of my vise jaws(presentation 2000) is to go to your local h-ware store and get the smallest plastic spackel blade and use that to scrape the glue off. If you apply just the right pressure it should pop right off. Another thing you can do, but you have to be very careful, is to take a razor blade..the ones that you can get a drugstore for shaving...and use your fingers to put an arch in it than run the blade along the outline of your jaws. As long as you can get under the glue with the blade it should pop right off. Sorry for the long explaination, I tend to over explain..That's the engineer in me coming out.lol

The truth of the matter is, acetone is about as caustic as rubbing alcohol.

aged_sage

Acetone Is not a caustic. Its a solvent. And it probably will not damage anodized Jaws. Close relatives of the solvent Acetone would be Ethyl Butyl, Isopropyl Alcohol, Methanol, Water, etc....

But on CPVC plastic look out acetone will mess it up big time!!!

Acetone Is not a caustic. Its a solvent. And it probably will not damage anodized Jaws. Close relatives of the solvent Acetone would be Ethyl Butyl, Isopropyl Alcohol, Methanol, Water, etc....

But on CPVC plastic look out acetone will mess it up big time!!!

In fact, if it were caustic, they wouldn't make fingernail polish remover out of it. Since my wife passed 14 years ago, I've lived in an all male household but still buy fingernail polish remover, for the sole purpose of getting fingers unstuck when CA'd together -- something that happens regularly around here.

In my experience, CA debonder just softens the glue and makes it non-sticky; it doesn't do a good job of removing.

If I were to use acetone on a Traveler, I would worry about the O-ring before the jaws themselves.