Fly Tying

The hook that I used with this fly is a size 12. The eye's are 50# mono. Foam is 2 mm.

Wrap thread around needle as shown and place end of thread in material holder.

post-1533-1263072276_thumb.jpg

Place two pieces of embroidery thread on needle with the color you want on the bottom on the right side. Tie down embroidery thread. Take thread out of the material holder and place on top of the embroidery thread. Now wrap the thread down to hold everything in place and tie down then cut off.

Turn vise so needle is pointing away from you. This weave is just a over hand knot. Some call it a Granny Knot. When you tie this knot be sure that the color you want on the bottom is on the inside closest to you. Take the knot and open the edge and place the dark color on top and the light color on the bottom of the needle. Pull thread tight. Repeat this again and be sure to keep the bottom color nearest to you when you tie the knot. This fly takes twenty knots to get the right length. Remove finished body from needle.

post-1533-1263072399_thumb.jpgpost-1533-1263072459_thumb.jpg

post-1533-1263072511_thumb.jpgpost-1533-1263072556_thumb.jpg

post-1533-1263072600_thumb.jpgpost-1533-1263072648_thumb.jpg

Place body on the hook at the very end of the shank and tie down. Cut off excess embroidery thread.

post-1533-1263072766_thumb.jpg

Tie on a strip of foam

post-1533-1263072873_thumb.jpg

Take some deer hair and even up the ends in your stacker. Holding the tip ends of the hair cut to length. Place hair where you just tied down the foam. Now is a good time to place the eyes on the hook. Bring the thread back of the eye. Now take your scissors or needle and divide the hair in equal parts. Bring foam through the divided hair and tie down with a couple of wraps. Bring foam over eyes and tie down and cut off. Don't cut foam to short at the head. If you do it will come loose and make you talk nasty. Finish head and whip finish.

post-1533-1263072965_thumb.jpgpost-1533-1263073033_thumb.jpg

post-1533-1263073079_thumb.jpgpost-1533-1263073128_thumb.jpg

I treated the body with Rain-X and bug float

Floyd, thanks for this. I'm new at this. I have woven some nymphs but I have woven directly on the hook. I like this idea of tying it on a needle and then transplanting it to create the extended body. That's a sweet idea I will deff be using this. I love the things some of you people do that I can incorporate into my own tying. Love this. Thanks!

Whew! Those are COOL!

Nice techniques! Norlander does the preproduction on his extended bodies too, but totally different technique, and very different fly too.

Floyd... those are great! I've always liked woven flies, and I like the fact that embroidery thread comes in so many bright and vibrant colors (or colours, as Crackaid would say). Some day I hope to get enough courage to try one. I even found a site that had SBS for four different types of weaves. Unfortunately they took some of them off their site so they aren't available anymore.

Anyway, those are cool, and will be added to my wish list.

Mike

Go down to the warmwater forum and look at the Gill-er Bugs. You're gonna love those.

Quick question. My embroidery thread is 6 pieces and wonder how many actually pieces you use on your tail? Seems like it would be too fat with the full thread.

I do a lot of weaving just because I enjoy and the effects it has.

I use the two strand twisted embroidery thread from Hobby Lobby for this fly. I’ve seen embroidery threat in metallic (silver) as you’ve described. I tried it a couple of times and didn’t care for it.

Okay, I did the weave on the needle, pulled it off, got ready to tie it on and the 3/4" weave stretched into an 1.5" weave. How do you get your weave to hold together? After mine stretched out like that I coated it with UV and used it to tie a dragonfly. When I pulled my weave off it curled way up in the air. Trying to straighten it out is when it just pulled the weave apart.

You have to start by tying the embroidery thread down starting at the point of the needle. Wrap your tying thread around the embroidery thread until you have a little more body length than you need. Tie off and cut tying thread. The weave used on this fly is just a simple overhand or granny knot. Make a overhand knot. Open the knot and place one thread under the needle and the other thread on top of the needle and pull tight. Continue this until you have the length you want. Remove from needle. When you cut off excess thread there should be 4 tag ends left. Be sure and tie down all 4 tag ends onto the hook. If your still having problems I’ll send you my phone number or you can send me yours by PM. Should be able to walk you through it. Hope this helps.

Thanx Floyd. I'll give it another try later. I did the same weave pattern you're talking about and it looked great coming off the needle (actually, I a fancy setup to do those things). What happens is the braid can be stretched out.

EUREKA...just reread your last post for the third time and it hit me. I was tying the end of the weave off and cutting the string. Then braiding and tying again. So what I did was tie the two ends. If I'm reading it right you end up with the thread from one end of the braid being underneath the weave. When you tie off 4 tags you essentially have held the far end of the weave in place with the thread running thru the weave pattern. I think I have it and will give it another try.