Fly Tying
Kingfisher

What's your biggest weakness?

What category of fly fishing items do you have a particular weakness for?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As we are all too aware, new stuff that "you gotta have" comes on the market practically every day and entices us to drop a few bills or whip out the plastic; this is in addition to the things we find at garage sales, antique shops, or covered in dust within the cabinets of out-of-the-way fly and sporting goods shops. The question is: what one category of items would you say gets the majority of your attention?

For me, it's unquestionably books: 83 on all aspects of fly fishing and counting, and this is not taking into account field guides.

One vote for other to cover all bases. Problem with any of it is bill money is more important than toy money!

Well, this was REALLY tough. So I just put one and will list both here.

I actually have an addiction to books and materials. I prefer older books. Love going through old info (whether it be tying or fishing techs). Have a small collection, and grows more all the time. But do love materials, and love finding out new sources to replace more expensive materials. So I'm always on the prowl for both, and try to snatch up either that I find.

I had to vote "other" simply because all the catagories fit with the exception of clothing and already tied flies.

I have a huge weekness for rods (MSUICEMAN will back me on this one lol) as of right now i have about 10 "good" rods and countless ones i dont even use.

Reels, well i'm a reel hog wink.gif that i can think of i have Harris solitude IV with 3 spare spool,a Ross Rythem, Ross Gunnison G5, a couple Okuma 4/5's, a automatic pluger for panfish, a Aurora 4wt, 2 medelist pluger's, a battenkill 8wt somewhere downstairs and a few other older fly reels.

Books that are tying/fly fishing related i have around 100 that are all "good" books.

Tying material,my materials i use alot wouldnt even fit into 2 good sized duffle bags and then i have bags of materials i never even use.

see why i voted "other" wink.gif

SD

I voted all of all of the above according to my wife. wink.gif Right now the focus seems to be tying materials, and rods.

Art

Materials, definately. I am always on the lookout for rare and exotic materials, anyone have some Bustard feathers? cool.gif

I have recently started collecting the salmon fly texts of the masters, Kelson, Price-Tannat, Francis and others. I recently picked up two first editions; Keith Fulsher's "Tying and Fishing the Thunder Creek Series" and Joseph Bates' "Atlantic Salmon Flies & Fishing".

I voted material. My FF hobby/obsession is on very tight budget (almost 0). The only thing that I can find fairly cheep is material. I only have 2 rods (8wt Orvis Clearwater with Redington RS2 reel and 5/6wt St Croix Pro with cheap Medalist reel). Steeldrifter if you have any extra rods that you don’t use, you can send them my way wink.gif .

All of the above tongue.gif My wife is always ragging on me about buying and selling rods and reels on Ebay. This summer I sold 2 fly rods, a centerpin rod and 3 spinning rods. Then, I bought a centerpin reel and 10 wt rod for the upcoming trip to Michigan next week.

I'm leaving next Friday morning (17th) with 9 other guys for the Pere Marquette and staying until the 22nd. I haven't gotten all of the details, but I know we're staying near Pickerel Lake. When are you going?