Fly Tying
David Legg

Nice Surprise Package Arrived

My whole day didn't quite go as planned, though I did get on the vise for a little bit...

but one thing went better than expected. I got a package from a friend back east whose father, and avid fly tyer and fly collector passed away recently. I received a couple of his hats, (much appreciated) a hunk of polar bear hair from the desk of Lee Wulff with an authentication card signed by Joan Wulff, and a small flybox with several flies tied by Gary LaFontaine. :)

Soon... too many busy days in a row. I am taking off shortly for an appointment, in fact.

Agreed that sounds awesome, I had the same thing happen to me just it was a bunch of old hooks, Mustads to be exact always wondered if they were worth anything besides sentimental value

Hey Spey. Great first post. I can't wait to see what other great pieces of insight you have in store for us. Man I can already see I'm going to need a dictionary handy every time I read one of your posts Eh?

Well if you keep up the great reply's this site is going to need to expand to have enough room to archive all of the amazing information you're going to have for us.

I'm so glad that you were inspired to post that as your first post.

LOL... the fault is all mine. I am grabbing my camera as I type this... sort of... actually it is sitting next to me and I will grab it as soon as I finish and hit "add reply"

Be back soon!

polarbearhair.jpg

This is the Polar Bear hair swatch from Lee Wulff's Fly Tying Desk.

Sorry I took so long to post the images. Frankly... I forgot about it. And Speyguy... feel free to give me a friendly nudge anytime if you think I need it. I especially needed it this time and I appreciate you reminding me. Thank you!

BTW... those fat little nymphs looked goofy to me (sorry Gary!) until I picked one up. They have a lead split shot pinched onto the hook shank, it appears, and then Gary dubbed right over them. Cool idea actually! I've never seen it done like that before. Actually, now that I think about it, it could be a little goofy, but it's that kind of innovative thrust that made LaFontaine great. I'd fish one, except if I lost it (which I would, everyone would call me an idiot for slinging it.) I guess I'll have to tie one of the goofy little things myself!

:rolleyes:

I actually plan to build a little display in a shadowbox frame for the flies and more or less same thing for the polar bear. When I get my tying room built (I just use a section of our basement right now) then I will be able to properly display them.