Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
VERN-O

Branchu

Hard to tell from the picture or the description in the database, but is that a flatwing (i.e. a flank feather mounted flat)?

redietz.......sorry I forgot that part....it's mounted slightly fold and flat......confusing, I know, but it takes a fair amount of fooling around with....also tapering the body down(near the eye) helps to get the wing to lie better

Nice fly VERN-O! Is this one of the patterns you will be demonstrating this weekend at the OOFS? I am hoping to get up to the shop to watch you tye again this year.

We'll have to see Ray......I really struggle with this one, though I love to tie them....maybe I'll practie a bit more and save it for last at the the demo...hope to see you there

Very nice--I've no doubt that it would be death on my brookies down here. :) A question: how do you get such a nice taper on the body: a Leisenring dubbing brush? Split thread? I'm afraid my attempts would just make a pretty big hairball...

the taper I feel comes from two things.....

#1 the dubbing

#2 a dubbing loop with portion control over the dubbing.

The imitation seal fur is interesting to work with.......place your thread at the bend of the hook and form a dubbing loop....I usually don't use any wax. Open the loop and slide a small portion of dubbing as far up the loop as you can, then continue to add more dubbing increasing slightly in the amount. Just lay the dubbing in there, no twisting, then the further you get up the loop beging to taper back down the amount of dubbing, so the wing will lay flat. Then twist away with your dubbing twister, and start wrapping forward (nice close wraps), and stroking back the dubbing as needed.....hope this helps

that wing is similar to a woods special streamer which uses a bronze mallard, when I tried to substitute for another it became a mess. The bronze mallard has a lot more structure and holds together better, perhaps you might have better success if you try the bronze mallard.

Greg

Greg....very good point....I couldn't agree with you more. I use most of my bronze on spey wings. Another interesting twist would be to use Pheasant Rump.......now we got the wheels turning............the wheel is turning and you can't hold on.....couldn't you try just a little bit harder? couldn't you, try just a little bit more?.......ahhh the good ole Grateful Dead!

that wing is similar to a woods special streamer which uses a bronze mallard, when I tried to substitute for another it became a mess. The bronze mallard has a lot more structure and holds together better, perhaps you might have better success if you try the bronze mallard.

Greg

A Wood(s) Special is usually tied with wood duck. I asked if it were a flat wing because I've been tying a lot of Wood(s) Specials of late, and this one reminded me of it! I must admit, I've been thinking of trying bronze mallard as a change of pace, though.

beads= www.flymenfishingcompany.com

Good to hear from you Tequillatrout!!

Many thanks!!!

I check the website and they have amazing products