Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Voodoo

Hawaii fly fishing?

so as you can probably figure out from the title i am heading over to the amazing Aloha state for a honymoon. The wife is allowing me to spend a day trying to tag some rainbows while we are on the north shore of Kauai. I know the river i will be hitting but i just dont know what to use, will they hit most thing on the surface or nyphs? I figure i should have a few things in my box that will work for an outline.

Are there any good Hawaii entomology site out there, more importantly fresh water?

should i just go fishing in the flats with a guide?

should i just fish the rocks and harbors unguided?

any help is greatly appreciated

Jeremy

I know they have bonefish in Hawii. I didnt catch any when I was there but I was on a work trip and the closest I got was fishing on wikiki beach and north shore. lol. My old work buddies wanted to go there so I took my fishing pole! There were a few cool looking flats that I saw. I did catch a few lizard fish and some cool looking goat fish on the north shore. You could probably catch some cool looking fish from the rocks if its not too rough. I think its all about what you want out of the trip. When is the next time your gonna be able to catch a local fish in polinesia? Plus salt water fishing is free and you have to buy a license for freash water there. If you get a guide you will learn some areas that next time your there you might be able to swim or walk to though. Your call.

Good luck. When I was on Kauai three years ago I fished for bass. It was in early January. The winds and waves are at their height this time of year.

Understand it is a long hike to where there are or at least were at one time freshwater trout.

have they all moved on or died off from warm water? and if its free to fish the ocean then big rod here we come!

When I was there you were supposed to have a fishing license.

I asked an employee in a Ranger uniform at the Park at the end of the road on the west side which I believe is from where the hike to the mountain stream where they introduced some trout is begun. The person told me there were some trout introduced years ago. But the person led me to believe they were none still there. Didn't know whether the "ranger's"? information was accurate or not. But I didn't have time to check it out either way. The article I saw on the subject indicated it was a long hike and you might have to spend a night out.

There is a river and a couple of reservoirs to be fished in.

One thing I found interesting was all of the chickens running around all over the island which no one seemed to bother. There are no natural predators.

Taste the "Poi". But a "taste" will certainly be enough for you.

Look into the dirt shirts as a souvenir... they use the red volcanic mud to dye shirts. I picked up one of the state fish a Humuhumunukunukuapua'a. Got some mud on my guide pants. The stain is still there.

It is a beautiful island.

we are avid backpackers so we might look into that but i think she has more of the beach in mind lol