Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tyrite

Looking for some good vices!!!!

Hi I have bin giving tying lessons to some new tiers and I have bin supplying the vices!!

I am now looking for some Farly good vices for them to learn on.

any suggestions on the vices that would work the best i would really appreciate it.

Thanks Tyrite (Glen Dayton)

I think I would take a look at the Peak Rotary, the Renzetti Traveller, and the Anvil Atlas to start. All are good products with nice capability.

up to from 125 to 200!!

Thats a broad range. The other suggestions are great but I would personally suggest the Anvil Apex. Inexpensive, holds a hook like a vise, adjustable head tilt, and has rotary. For a beginner what more do you need?

Buying several 125-200 vises would be expensive :bugeyes:

Looking for some good vices!!!!

Women and booze :)

Ya but that's out of his price range. :hyst:

I think David Legg sums it up. I would just add the HMH to his list.

This topic is like the year the Sabres went to the cup and lost due to a No Goal call. Everyone is gonna have a different opinion on the subject. Goal? No goal?

I say HMH Spartan. I own a Standard and I love it.

I also say that it was a god damn goal and we got robbed of the cup.

But then again that's just one biased opinion. As I imagine most are when it comes to such a subject.

Go for the HMH.

And GO SABRES!

up to from 125 to 200!!

Per vise or total expenditure? How many do you need? Out of curiousity, what do you use? Is this associated with a club? Odds are you can knock a bit off retail by either going to a shop or contacting the manufacturer directly, especially if this is a club related event. I personally use the Griffin Superior 2A in my classes, which is pretty much the best vise in its price range, IMHO. If you are only talking about having a spare vise for the occasional lesson, that's one thing but to buy 6-8 for an entire class, plus tools, that can get pretty expensive, so your budget might need some adjustment. My second choice would probably be one of those cheap Regal knockoffs from South Asia...although I am a bit leery of the spitting hook issue. Have tried using those really cheap imported Thompson clones, and none of them are worth the money.

holds a hook like a vise,

I certainly hope so. :blink:

I say that because there are a very larger number of so-called 'vises' that really can't hold a hook like a vise at all :)