Fly Tying
ShortyB

Split wings or not?

I have been tying for about 3 years and I was wondering what more experienced tyers think about the subject of splitting wings. I read somewhere that Lee Wulff had said it was unnecessary since the natural mayfly floats with its wings together and upright. I think I remember him saying that the only reason he did it was because those buying his flies felt that they were unfinished if the wings were not split.

I must say that I have had good success with a BWO I tied with an upright "post" rather than a wing but that is because I just cannot see well enough to tie a split wing on a size 22 hook!

I am strictly an amateur and would welcome any feedback.

Shorty

I don't believe it matters in the vast majority of situations at least. In fact, there are a growing number of tyers I meet who believe that no wing is necessary, and my own experience leads me to believe that this is generally true. The water you are fishing will determine a lot. In a faster stream, the trout have a very small window of opportunity to inspect a fly, and I think that general form, size and color are generally more relelvent that most specific details. And great anecdotal evidence can be offered by the success of parachute flies which rely on a single post rather than traditional wings.

I do remember reading a comment like that and I've heard about the same thing from my local fishermen. Although they are fun to tie, they are time consuming. Matt Matsushita, often uses only one wing for mayfly duns.

For mayfly wings, I've been using medallion sheeting for a few years now and there's no need to go back to hair wing style, well, for now anyway.

If you really want to tie split hair wings for small size, say 22 and 24, I used to tie small wing bundles in advance.

Hope that helps.

I have great success with mayflies with "wing" of CDC, which is just one clump. It is mobile, translucent, and fish don't seem to mind it is only one piece.

I have been tying for about 3 years and I was wondering what more experienced tyers think about the subject of splitting wings. I read somewhere that Lee Wulff had said it was unnecessary since the natural mayfly floats with its wings together and upright. I think I remember him saying that the only reason he did it was because those buying his flies felt that they were unfinished if the wings were not split.

I must say that I have had good success with a BWO I tied with an upright "post" rather than a wing but that is because I just cannot see well enough to tie a split wing on a size 22 hook!

I am strictly an amateur and would welcome any feedback.

Shorty

My only suggestion is to get yourself an adjustable arm magnifying lamp. They work great for 30 to 40 bucks. You will not regret it.

Tim

show me a fish which will take a #20 fly with a split wing, and refuse one with an unsplit wing (all other factors being equal) and I will definitely buy you a beer. And one for the fish too.

Thank you to all who have responded so far. All very helpful advice. The little BWO I tied had just a tuft of dyed gray mallard flank used as a "wing" so I was interested to try a similar technique on a few other smallish flies.

show me a fish which will take a #20 fly with a split wing, and refuse one with an unsplit wing (all other factors being equal) and I will definitely buy you a beer. And one for the fish too.

looks like you'll need to pack bags and come to indiana.

i have a fish in a 5gal busket wanting to have words with you. His name is ralph. a curmudgeon of his species.

he also said dont bring any yuppie micro-brewery beer or guiness. he kept rambling on about about irish whiskey................bushmills i think.

camoham