Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mini Hub

earthquakes

awesome two key witnessesfor the same earthquake that happened in idaho in the early 80's. :headbang: :yahoo:

I was working in minatitlan a couple years ago and was woken up in the morning when the bed was shaking. I thought I was dying or something because I had never felt one before. I got up and watched the picture frame on the wall jiggle for a couple seconds and then it was over. I called the other guys I was working with and they felt it too. I dont think people cared in town. there wasnt any damage.

I have felt four here in western Oregon.

I was laying on the couch when the first one happened. It felt like someone grabbed the back of the couch and was moving it around, but when I looked up nobody was there.

The second one was the biggest. 5.6 I believe. It was known as the Spring Break Quake. It shook the house pretty good and damaged some buildings and bridges.

The next one felt strange. I was at work and everyone went out into the parking lot. It didn't really shake but you could feel the ground moving. It seemed like it would make you sea sick if it lasted very long. It was centered near Olympia WA, a lot farther away than the others.

The last one was the smallest. I woke up when my window rattled. It does that sometimes when a big truck goes by, but there was no sound of a truck. I thought it must have been a gust of wind and went back to sleep. The next day on the news they said there had been a mild quake centered about 15 miles from me at the same time I woke up.

Lived in the northwest all my life so I don't even want to think about counting all of the eatrthquakes. Back in the late 80's or early 90's when I was fishing around West Yellowstone there was a series/swarm of earthquakes. They reported a total of about 1500 in a weeks time that were recordable. Most of them were 2.0 or less but you could feel a few.

for school I am needing to take a poll of people who have been in an earthquake and how many earthquake you have been in! :yahoo: If anyone could reply and help out a boy with his homework.

Thanks a lot !!!

mini hub - Trenton

Back when I was in the army I though I was at one time, BUT it was just the B-52 droping there load 2 miles away.

As many know I travel a lot for work, at one point in my career I spent a lot of time in CA and WA. I have been in meetings in So Cal and have been through some quakes and slept through many. I also just missed the big Seattle quake by a few hours as I took an earlier then planned flight. I'll tell you that I had originally couldn't wait to experience one and the first time I did, I regretted it. I have never felt so out of control of my situation in my life. During my life I have enjoyed several hobbies that challenge mother nature, such as winter hiking, cave diving and of course fishing. But most of those situations there are safety precautions you can take, but in a quake anything can happen and it just feels like it is happening to you and you just have to take it. All that being said, I'm a big believer in experiencing whatever you can in life and its an interesting life experience.

ok i was in the marines when all these took place 1.) whittier ,ca. 2.) noethridge, ca. 3.) 29 palms area 4.) 4 in okinawa japan 5.) 3 in republic of philllpines .....the ones in japan were very quick ...an the ones in ca. we seemed to go on an on ;i was in the field during these an i watch the ground roll like the ocean ..oddest skaryiest thing ever ....the one in the philllipines we did rescue to a skool in cantabuan city an races food an water to bagio city ,,,it was just a few weeks before the volcano blew ,an we were off to the 1st gulf war

Felt all these being in So Calif. 1.) whittier ,ca. 2.) northridge, ca. 3.) 29 palms and 4.) San Simeon was the worse, as we were rocking and rolling for days after that one. I now dodge tornados which I think is worse mentally because you get warning that it is coming. With quakes it just happens. Have friends in Moreno Valley in So Cal and if you check USGS they have been shaking steadily the last few days.

I suppose it's okay to digress on Mini's thread a bit, since he has completed this assignment, but speaking of tornados, we get a lot of spring tornados here in the Central region of the Bluegrass. We live on the crest of what is geographically known at the "Knob Region". We lie on the edge of the almost plains like horse country to the north and west and the natural ravines and river bottoms only a few miles to our south. The ridge lines raise to 1500 ft within just 15 miles of flat, Missouri-like farms. Now, I grew up in the hollers of Eastern Kentucky, on ancient Appalachian mountain tops that rarely exceed 4,000ft, but that height was enough to deflect most weather fronts that spawn the tornados here. I would much rather experience a tornado than an earthquake. With a tornado, SOMETIMES there's a warning. Also, tornados don't always follow a predictable path. Most will travel a ridge line, or travel up a natural hollow or low bottom area, almost like water following the path of least resistance, but they will often turn without warning,hit or miss. Your neighbor may have his roof expressed into the next county while you and yours don't even have a blade of grass disturbed. I experienced a dealy tornado several years ago that leveled most of my neighborhood. A neighbor's house was just gone! Only thing left was the foundation and water spraying from pipes that now went nowhere. My property was untouched. The winds even carried stray trash (soda cans, cigaretts packs etc) from the back of my truck, but didn't even stratch the clear coat. I know this all sounds scary, but I would much rather know it's coming, prepare for the worst, and be untouched, than to bee-bopping through my day andsuddenly get thrown into the wall because the ground is moving :bugeyes: ...I guess it's funny what one can get comfortable with in thier lives...I guess it all comes down to one's personal life experiences and expectations of the natural world in thier own world. But give me a tornado anyday!

I originally came from the pittsburgh area , and still remember the nasty thunder and lightning storms. As mentioned by bigdaddy, we are given warnings with the dark clouds and so forth. In earthquake country, they tend to sneak up at you ,any time of day , night or any time of the year. I live about 10 miles from where the latest shakes have happened. We in this area are constantly reminded about the " san andreas" fault which happens to be south of the local mountains, which is under most of this area. Many years ago , it was passed around that las vegas would be a sea shore city!!! lets face it , this winter has shown that mother nature can get our attention on any notice, in many different ways.

pat carroll