Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
nmason

Need Some Ideas

Got a whole bunch of these hooks at a local Orvis store that was closing for a dollar a pack. Does anyone have any good ideas for bass flies I could try?

post-13609-1264963786_thumb.jpg

Those look like live bait hooks. I use some like that for Striped Bass flies.

They're fine for streamers or bucktail type flies. I've found it's best to keep the patterns fairly simple, and I'm primarily imitating Silversides. A little gray over white bucktail, some UV pearl krystal flash, and a strip of 1/8 inch wide holographic silver mylar down each side is a good one, and will work on LM bass too. I add large silver & black stick on eyes (or 3-D) & epoxy the head, and it rarely fouls.

Also, that's a pretty stout wire, so they're best used with a heavier weight rod & stout leader depending on the size hook. I usually am using a 9 wt even though the flies I tie on that type hook are only about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long on a size 2 or 1 hook.

Hope it helps! :)

you can do some congo hair baitfish patterns, clousers i would say really any type of those should work out on those hooks.

txflytier

That is also a great style of hook for tandem streamers. You tie a piece of finer steel leader or heavy mono off the back of one hook, and through the eye and onto the shank of the other hook. Be sure to lay in a thread base on each first, lash it down well, and then cement it. You end up with a two hook streamer in a bigger size that would work well for bass.

Might try egg-flies on it :dunno:

As David and Smalliefanatic said, tandem streamers and eggs.

It would be perfect for a string fly streamer.

Lanning

Could serve well for the head or lead fly in articulated flies and damsels. I would try Dhise nymph o maniac or something similar. I use mustad bait hooks for most of my egg patterns as they are particulary sturdy and handle the heavy tying well.

Might try egg-flies on it :dunno:

As David and Smalliefanatic said, tandem streamers and eggs.

It would be perfect for a string fly streamer.

Lanning

Right away i thought egg hooks