Fly Tying
saltydogg

Which vise do you prefer?

I am looking to upgrade my cheap C-clamp vise to something nicer. All the feedback I have recieved so far points me towards the Renzetti Prensentation Cam 4000 or the Dyna-King Ultimate Indexer. What do you like or dislike about the two manufacturers?

I am looking to upgrade my cheap C-clamp vise to something nicer. All the feedback I have recieved so far points me towards the Renzetti Prensentation Cam 4000 or the Dyna-King Ultimate Indexer. What do you like or dislike about the two manufacturers?

Have never owned a Dyna-King. Have an older Renzetti Traveler that I upgraded to the cam jaw. It does 99% of what I need a vise for. Great customer service.

Larry

I think both are great vises. I would be more likely to take the Renzetti if I were tying smaller patterns, and the Dyna King if I were tying bigger patterns. The jaws on the Dyna King are set up better for large hooks, in my opinion.

Both are great vises that will give you a lifetime of enjoyment. I don't own the "Ultimate" indexer, but I put my money into a regular Indexer a little over a year ago. Not a single regret from where I sit. For every vise out there, there are folks who love to tie on it. I just happen to love my DK Barracuda Indexer.

I would go with the DK, I have tied on a Voyager II for 5 yrs. I have tied 1/0 hooks down to 26 on the standard jaw. I know you can go bigger than 1/0. DK hook holding power is amazing. You can not go wrong with DK.

Carl

Just to reiterate Carl's post, you cant go wrong with either; each is a great vise but I would go with Dyna King cause of their customer service.

go to your local fly shop and ask if you can tie some flies on both vises. then only YOU can decide.

Hey Salty, You know I am a DK Pro. enthusiast, and they really stand by their products, they even have made me several custom items. I would really recommend tying on them side by side if at all possible. One thing I have never liked on true rotary vices is laying in tiny split tails on micro bugs. The left side of my right wrist hits the vice and makes that uncomfortable to me. Granted I had tied for over 20 years before rotarys came out, but I wanted to make sure you tested that for yourself.

Can't wait to see some new pattern photos off the new vice too.

Cheers, Jeff

Both excellent vises. The Dyna-King has the advantage of the index function and tilting stem/head arrangement, and would be great for larger patterns. The Renzetti is a "simpler" more elegant construction that would favor trout size flies...I've been trying to make the same decision myself. The biggest difference between the two is, as some have pointed out, comes if you have to deal with the manufacturer. You hear mixed reviews about Renzetti's customer service (I have experienced both very good and VERY bad service from Renzetti) but I don't think I've ever heard a bad thing about Dyna-King's people. Ultimately vises like these will last a very long time and you may never have to deal with the manufacturer, but I would rather deal with Dyna-King than repeat my experiences with Renzetti, regardless of how much I like their product.

Both are wonderful, but I would choose the Dyna-King Ultimate Indexer and purchase the midge jaws at some point.

I've never used a Renzetti but do own three Dyna-Kings, none of which are Indexers. I do know DK has outstanding customer service so I would have no problem recommending DK based on my experiences. But as others have said .. try to tie on each and make your decision based on that and not what someone "recommends" you buy.

Mike

I have bought the renzetti master last year and love it, though there isn't much room behind the fly. I just ordered a DK (forgot the model) but its the small one and I'm going to use it as my travelling vise. I have two other vise, a Xuron and Pamola Fly Lathe, I like the Pamola for tiny flies and deer hair and the xuron is very simple and has great access to your flies - at this point I tie some catskills on it out of respect. As others have mentioned you should try tying on both, but I would add that you should really see how much actual rotary tying you will be doing as you will lose rear access regardless of brand (just varying degrees).

Saltydog 'with 1 G'

After the crap that Renzetti pulled with "bent arm design" I'll never own one. I have the basic Dynaking Kingfisher and it does everything I need it for including my crappie jigs. DynaKing for me.

Fatman

we need to start a vote.....

I would go with a renzetti for trout flies. If you will be tying larger flies the go for the DK.