Fly Tying
NJ All Day

Crayfish Patterns?

that's exactly what I did on my first attempt...the second one turned out great! Love the way the claws move when you "bump" it and bounce it ....only tested it in my kitchen sink, but it looks great.

DaCream, I like it. It looks like you could knock out a whole pile of those things in an hour at the bench.

And, you are right, many of the flies in the catalogs are intended to catch flyfishermen first, the fact that they will also catch fish is a bonus.

Lanning

Also,

Don't be afraid to experiment with several color combinations. Here in Central Ky the craws will start to move into shallows to sun and warm as early as late Feb-early March with mild weather. At this time, they are not abundant and fish aren''t really keying on them, but is not uncommon to take a few nice lunker fish in early spring chucking craws. During this time of year, the craws in my local streams are purple to blue with speckling of dark red and gray. I don't typically tie many in these colors, but have taken NICE smallies in cold waters with them. Craws move into the shallows at night to spawn. If you're going to do some late night, shallow water fishing, you may even consider tying a few in black or other silohette promoting schemes.

Sorry for the rambling...off work today and too cold to fish...guess this is my only outlet today! :rolleyes:

I think there is common misconception that crawdad patterns must have clearly defined claws. When crayfish are fleeing their claws are not spread out to the sides. This is why something as simple as a woolley bugger can imitate a craw. Anything that has movement in the tail that expands and contracts (Marabou, rabbit etc.) will make a good craw pattern. Don't overthink it.

wow everbody thanks for all the tips and patterns.

flyfish dog- that's a great looking patterns his do you create the maribou legs? do you wrap the maribou around the hook?

Clip a section of marabou about 3/8 th of stem with the feathers attached and ti down right on top on the back of the V. Does that help? I dont wrap it as the carapace will cover the top of it as shown.

Okay, so you just lay the feather parallel with the hook shank and just tie down? that pattern looks easy enought and effective!

so the rest of the materials are just Swiss straw, a wire to match body, maribou, and dubbing?

Brass barbell eye if you wasnt it get it down fast, Use Antron dubbing, Lead wire on shank, wire for rib and to hold down Raffia. Along with the short piece of marabout for the legs and pincer. I think I may have posted it awhiole back the recipe. Use a marker for mottled looks on top of raffia. This is about a 15-20 min tie at most.

You may also want to check out Skip Morris's crawdad pattern. I found it really easy to tie. It is called Skip's Dad and it represents a baby craw. Great pattern.

You may also want to check out Skip Morris's crawdad pattern. I found it really easy to tie. It is called Skip's Dad and it represents a baby craw. Great pattern.

I'll second that. Skips book are very good to have on hand.

I'll second that. Skips book are very good to have on hand.

I got the books and the DVDs

I use lead wire under both but great point they need to "act" like cdads rather than mimic the profile. "Bigdaddy" has got a great idea with the knot in the rubber legs; kinda a quick way to get antenna and eye effect at the same time... :thumbsup:

Later DL

crawdads02.jpg