Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
pongo

C-Clamp or Pedestal???

Before I buy the HMH, I would just like to get some thoughts on the pro's and con's of the c-clamp and the pedestal.

I start with a c-clamp and went to a pedestal. I like the pedestal for the simple reason I can put the vise anywhere I want.

I use a c-clamp for two reasons: it seems more stable and it is easy to adjust the height of the vice head. The down side is it's sometimes tough to find a place to clamp to when on the road.

I have both. There is room in your tying for both of them. You tie at home and want to use the c-clamp and you do, now take that same vise and go on a trip somewhere and try to hook it to some of the picnic tables at campgrounds.

NOT at most of them thats' where you use the pedastal.

Lately I've used nothing but the pedastal and it hasn't caused any problems in my tying.

The biggest part of your qeustion should be "What is the most comfortable for you" your the one tying on it.

Fatman

I use a C Clamp with an arm that lets me adjust fore and aft and up and down. Mostly, I use it whan I'm tying saltwater flies and deer hair because I can put more "heat" on the thread. I have and use a pedestal too - for small flies and woven bodies so I can move it around more.

Like Live2Fish I went from a C-Clamp to a pedestal. Same reasons too, any flat surface will do.

I travel a lot on business and got tired of tying off of the edges of up-ended furniture because that was the only place a C-Clamp would fit.

I use both. Currently only have the C clamp, and am miserable though. But am planning to buy the pedestal for my vise. The key is getting a pedestal "appropriate" for the vise at hand. If you have to small/narrow of a pedestal, it'll rock when tying on it. Heavier the vise, heavier/wider the pedestal needs to be. Why you need to be careful buying the generic bases. Not all fit every vise correctly. May fit the shaft dimensions, doesn't work with vise at hand.

I use a pedestal on my HMH, I've only had one c-clamp vise and didn't like it because it restricts you to one spot on the bench.

I have an Orvis travel vise that has both. On a flat surface I'll use the pedestal and on stream I'll clamp it down.

If you can afford to add the c-clamp to the HMH, you should to give you flexibility.

I use c-clamps, but they are attached to either a portable flytying box, or a portable flytying station so I can postion the vise where I'd like....just never tried a pedestal....

Mark Delaney

wink.gif I was playing with an HMH vice at a fly shop yesterday. seems that they offer both for the vice and a set of midge jaws for $39.00 US. If I could afford, I would get the whole package. The base seemed pretty heavy too. Looks like a solid "no frills" type setup. Personally, I prefer a pedestal (my Regal has a heavy bronze one) for the reasons mentioned previously. The down side of the regal is it seems to stand too tall at times. This is when it would be nice to have the c-clamp, but then where would I put my clumsy elbows sad.gif

A.A.

In general I prefer tying with a C-clamp because it provide a solid connection to the tying table. My travel/demonstration kit has both. Most places I demonstrate have tables with an edge the does not fit a C-clamp very well. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

I have both the C-clamp and the pedistal. I tend to like the c-clamp more because the pedistal I have isn't sturdy enough for me. I might start looking for a heavier pedistal. Oh by the way I have a Griffen Odysey vise.

Jim