Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlatzFatz

A day on the bay

Took my favorite fishing bro and a fly rod out for a spin on the water Saturday... Some pics.

Loaded up and ready to go :yahoo:

P1020139.jpg

First time in the boat since thanksgiving...excuse the trash. Water temp shows 57*

P1020130.jpg

First spot, Last March this spot produced... sheepies, pomps, trout, and mangrove snapper. Today we were greeted with a stiff breeze and stained water :(

P1020132.jpgP1020133.jpg

My partner reads the water

P1020131.jpg

Results of our first drift :dunno:

P1020134.jpg

The captain takes a break from the fishing frenzy

P1020136.jpg

Not really the best day for the long rod

P1020137.jpg

In the end it was still a good time with my bud and it took a beer or six to clean das boat :drunk:

P1020140.jpg

Hoping for better conditions when I get back from NY next weekend

Well, it's always fun getting out on the water. Hope you catch more next time though. :thumbsup:

David <><

Sounds like we fought the same winds. Blowing 25mph Sat in Galveston. Saw one red up close that I scared while walking in to take a leak. Several bites but no hook ups. Some cool stuff going on with the sky though.

post-12078-1268080535_thumb.jpg

Been out a couple of times around Sarasota lately and with the gulf at 57 the fishing has been brutal. Managed some Trout and Ladies, but nothing else. The bite only started late in the morning.

Come on warmth !!

:)

Just got back from Watertown NY this morning around 2:30...Beautiful area, looks like a fly fishing paradise. We saw folks in a drift boat on the Salmon Run River and the rest of the rivers around FT Drum and local area were amazing.

Trout and Smallies?

The weather here blows (literally) 20-30 mph out of the WNW, no boating this weekend. But hey, it's getting warmer :headbang:

Cool looking Texas skies, still windy after this last front?

How about all that rain around Sarasota?

Hoping for a southerly wind to bring gulf and bay waters up a few degrees...Only a matter of days or weeks now :eek:

:headbang:

The last of our snow/ice has disappeared with the warmer weather and torrential rains the past few days.....now just need the bloated rivers to drop and the temp.s to rise a little bit................

Warm? Did someone say warm? Not here! Brr cold and cabin fever setting in again.

Love the pix of your fishing buddy! Here's ours. He will follow anyone with a rod in their hand!

post-25345-1268602911_thumb.jpg

Thats a true puppy friend. I'll be buying my first house soon and plan on getting a fishing buddy too, and a boat, and a new car, and paying off my wifes school. Im never going fishing again!

The wind blew all this saturday and half of sunday. We went Sat but no fly fishing as the wind was gusting 25mph only gear. I did spook a couple sheephead in the shallows and if the wind would have dropped into the 15mph range I would have gone after them. It was calm this morning and the outgoing tide will be later in the evening later this week with the bite moving later as the new moon grows. Too bad Im working. Is it spring break?

That picture of the pup is all time, a wall hanger for sure :thumbup: definitely the best fishing partner a person can have. Beautiful looking water, where is it...whatcha fishing for?

I'm going Wednesday after work...I asked some young guys last week if they saw any sheepies in shallow and they looked at me as if my head was spinning :dunno: We killed'em in that spot this time last year...more for me I guess !

"The last of our snow/ice has disappeared with the warmer weather and torrential rains the past few days.....now just need the bloated rivers to drop and the temp.s to rise a little bit................"

ANTICIPATION :whistle: The water we saw in Watertown Ny was the same way, lots of snow melt and moving fast, going back in May and July...Will be packing a 5wt 2 piece :yahoo: First time fishing for fresh water trout in a stream in more than 20 years... :wheelchair:

With the weather warming and the inevitable fishing trip on the horizon lets post up some pics of our trophies with the fly used to catch'em still in the mouth...Some of you will recognize your swap flies. Too good looking not to fish :thumbsup:

Tight loop and screaming drags...dave

broke off a couple of nice reds on the flylipps shrimp, had some others follow but no takers <_<

Some trout (3) and even a mullet, great day to be out :kicking:

Zonker minnow and baboon fly

P1020221.jpg

P1020228-1.jpg

P1020230-1.jpg

P1020223.jpg

P1020234.jpg

Some nice lookin trout, Dave. I think the fishing is starting to pick up now that it has finally started to warm up. What did you get the mullet on?

Some nice lookin trout, Dave. I think the fishing is starting to pick up now that it has finally started to warm up. What did you get the mullet on?

Was fishing a school of mullet pushing around, had just caught a 16" trout and then...rod doubles over and line zings off the reel. After a five minute tug of war what I thought was a nice red, up came the mullet...Snagged in the back.

A very nice day...First day out with the wife in months, and I got my latest bag O stuff from J Stockard :punk:

Five trout to the boat and a couple that must have been state records...too bad they broke off :innocent:

The Fly...

P1020292.jpg

A few fish...

P1020290.jpg

P1020288.jpg

P1020280.jpg

A very dirty deck...left the boat sit under a blooming oak and hickory tree for a week :nono: will be scrubbing with toilet bowl cleaner in the a.m....whose a dumb ass :whistle:

P1020276.jpg

BTW Wife wanted me to add...she caught a very nice flounder on a...ahhhh...what do you call them...Gulp shrimp on a ahhh, mmmmm, spinning thinga ma bobber :bait a very nice fish, will be stuffed with shrimp and cheese!!!

Fish for dinner :kicking: