Fly Tying
BigDaddyHub

Easy Bugger

I fished this little gem in a local trout stream last Thursday. I fished it in the deeper runs , bouncing it in the bottom with a No. 1 Dinsmore Egg shot. I stripped it back to me at the end of the "swing". The water was almost yellow from recent rains and snow melt, but it produced 20+ fish that day. It's an easy tie, even for the true beginner, but regularly proves itself so effective that I felt obliged to include it as a tribute to the success it brought me on my first outting of the year.

Lookin' good man! It figures that your fish would be booger eaters. (In Alabama, we say Wooly Boogers for some reason). I don't know that you could ask for a better tied bugger, and the white and yellow is new to me. So kudos for that! :headbang:

HAHA! They're "boogers" here too, man! I remember, as a kid, the first time an uncle of mine (from Toledo) called them a "bugger". I thought "what the hell is he talking about?" I like the simplicity and the versatility of a bugger. I routinely fish the white and yellow for the gills and especially the crappies and red-eyes. I recently find myself fishing simpler and simpler patterns, but tying more elaborate patterns. Go figure? A white and yellow bugger or even a white with a baby blue hackle makes a terrific baitfish streamer for the smallies and trout.

If you're ever going after bluegill that are deep, I'd recommend a #12 wet fly hook with a bead head. Tie a micro bugger in black chenille/black hackle with a chartreuse chickabou (or marabou) tail. A little trick FredH taught me... works like a champ!

Nice tie Chris. Another fine looking fly. Last Saturday I and four other guys gave a fly tying demonstration at the local Bass Pro Shop. One of the things we had to do was tie a Wooly Bugger while we were blindfolded. That was a fun thing to do. :thumbup:

Dart,

I fish a sz 12 bugger using ostrich (3 or 4 strands) for the body and a snippet of rabbit fur for the tail. Fish in olive or light brown around lily pads really pops the big bulls and redears. Great fun on a 3 wt. Take a lot of mountain trout on the same pattern in the foothills of eastern Ky.

Floyd! Good to wee you this evening!

I have tried the blindfolded thing for a bugger. It didn't turn out so well, but it is great fun, especially with young tiers!

Dart,

I fish a sz 12 bugger using ostrich (3 or 4 strands) for the body and a snippet of rabbit fur for the tail. Fish in olive or light brown around lily pads really pops the big bulls and redears. Great fun on a 3 wt. Take a lot of mountain trout on the same pattern in the foothills of eastern Ky.

Floyd! Good to wee you this evening!

I have tried the blindfolded thing for a bugger. It didn't turn out so well, but it is great fun, especially with young tiers!

Sounds cool. Post a pattern, man!

I'll have to tie one up. All the one's I have are pretty gnarled and chewed, but I'll get one whipped out and posted tonight.

Sweet tie Chris! I have some of the same in my panfish box, except mine all have a little flash in them. Crappies & perch like them too! They like a pink & white one as well! :D

I favor a white bugger with a light pink hackle and beadhead (Sz 6) for the white bass. Drives them crazy, TWF! Add a few strands of "rainbow trout" Krystal flash to the tail and hang on. The big hybrids will smash it with gusto as well, especially if the shad are schooling.

Thank you, Mike. Orange hackle over white works well as does chartruese over white. Very easy and not very imaginative, but deadly.

Cheri,

No matter where I fish or what I'm fishing for, I always carry a few buggers. ALWAYS.

I favor a white bugger with a light pink hackle and beadhead (Sz 6) for the white bass. Drives them crazy, TWF! Add a few strands of "rainbow trout" Krystal flash to the tail and hang on. The big hybrids will smash it with gusto as well, especially if the shad are schooling.

Sounds like a winner to me Chris! I favor rainbow Flashabou for buggers. Don't have any White bass here, but their cousins, the White Perch will eat them up! I also add the beadheads often. Speaking of shad, all those colors should work fine when the Hickories & Whites are up in the rivers in a few weeks. Great post! Thanks Chris! :D