Fly Tying
Dart

Calling all experienced tiers!

I thought it would be a good idea to post pictures of our very first flies we tied as well as posting pictures of current flies. I know that it helps encourage me when I go back and look at my first ties and then look at my progress to see how far I've come. For guys and gals just starting out though, they don't have anything to look back on! All they have is the journey in front of them! Hopefully, if they see what humble beginnings we came from (and I'm still coming from), they will have their eyes opened to just how much you can improve with practice and hard work.

I've been thinking of posting this for several days, but haven't had access to a camera. I'll edit this post tomorrow when I get my camera back.

So let's see them guys! What did your first flies look like, and give us a pic of where you are currently.

Edit: I found some pics online.

IMG_1223.jpg

My first attempt at a Orange Hare's Ear.

IMG_3811.JPG

My last attempt at an Orange Hare's Ear. Note how originally, I wasn't even using the correct materials! My photos also improved with quality.

IMG_1421.jpg

First attempt at a Royal Wulff.

IMG_1434.jpg

Second attempt at a Royal Wulff. I regressed. :blink: .

IMG_2627.jpg

Royal Wulff from Sept '08. I can see stuff wrong with it now, but at the time I thought it was fairly good. I think the last Wulff I tied was in Dec 08 - Jan 09 for the Royal Family Swap. Wow.

Really the only comparisons I can find from pics I have uploaded for now.

Unfortunately, I wasn't particular proud of my first fly, nor do i still have it to take a picture of it. Keep in mind that this was a few months into my tying, and this is arguably the EASIEST pattern of all time to tie (unless you're tying a big thread midge that is). The san juan worm:

post-14194-1268781747_thumb.jpg

The wraps are not very good as you can plainly see. Don't be afraid to fish these! They'll catch fish no doubt, they're just not the prettiest flies is all. This is what it's supposed to look like:

post-14194-1268781965_thumb.jpg

Here's a mayfly pattern (brown drake? it's a size 12...) I came up with called the Magical Mayfly. Not cheesy at all right?

post-14194-1268780857_thumb.jpg

Everyone's flies don't look too hot at first... Never give up! Trust your instincts! Okay, so there's not much involved with instincts in fly tying but you get the picture. Practice makes perfect and the more you do it, the better you'll become, and the sooner you'll improve. I'm no master by any means, I'll be the first one to admit it. Just thought I'd try to throw some encouragement the average rookie's way.

Nice soft hackle Dart! She's a beaut!

Like flytire, my first flies are long gone, tied over 40 years ago. I'll see what I can do about getting some pictures posted of flies I've tied recently.

I don't have my very first fly, but this is certainly one of my first (you asked for it, Jeff :rolleyes: ) This was about 1 1/2 years ago.

Firstflies.jpg

And a fairly recent fly:

Irrestable.jpg

Sorry my first flies are long gone 30+ yrs.

Interesting though my first flies were tyed without a vise simple salmon flies woolly buggars etc .

I have progressed though I now use a vise or is that progress :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Blessings,

Jeremy

Guest Big E

First sttempt at a buzzer about 2 years ago:

Another buzzer about 1 year ago:

First Czech nymph:

Another later on:

Most Recent:

WOW! I will pull out my box of firsts and check them out again. Great topic Jeff!!

I have held on to this fly for many years. Not because it is a fabulous fly; it isn't. I held on to it because I'm an old sentimental hillbilly, as most Appalachians are. I held on to this fly, cherished this fly, even guarded this fly against abuse, theft, and mistreatment because it was the first popper Will Mullis ever tied. It was tied one dreary, damp afternoon in a little cramped apartment a few blocks from where I live now. I held on to it, it's lanky profile always present on my tying table, usually on my lamp. I kept it, and never, EVER even considered fishing it because it would have crushed my soul to have lost it. I kept it because Will tied it...and then gave it to me. Man, it's been some years now....enjoy!

post-20880-1268854492_thumb.jpg

post-20880-1268854535_thumb.jpg

post-20880-1268854568_thumb.jpg

This is one of my first ones, tied a little over a year ago (I keep it in a drawer in a small plastic hook box.)

Followed by my last effort.

then.jpg

now.jpg

Mike

from a wooly hare's ear to a full dress in a year? WOW! Talk about blowing that learning curve! Now see, that's what our new tiers need to see...with dedication to the art, look how far one can come in a short time!