Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TOM PRUETT

Renzetti master

Guest Big E

Vices are like women...different strokes for different folks. While I love my renzetti 2000 and have lusted for the master, you may not like them and prefer something else. Before you drop the coin, I would go to a shop where they sell vices and try them out and see what suits you.

A basic Renzetti Traveler is a nice vise and a good value. But seriously, $700 for a Master??? I really don't see what is so special about a vise that appears to be just a tarted up version of their basic vise. A Barracuda Ultimate Indexer is $400, and a much more substantial piece of equipment at about half the cost. If you're determined to spend $700, buy a LAW.

you already have a really nice renzetti. use that for a few years it will last you forever.

I have one, had it for maybe 20 years. Bought it with my wonderfull income tax refund. It's nice for the flies that I tie on it, mostly presentation flies. For the bulk of my tying both for pleasure and sale (> 20,000 dozen) I use a Regal rotary. Yeah, I know it's not a real rotary but I can look at the fly from the angle that I need to.

To be blunt, I like them both but would have spent much less if there were other versions of the rotary vise available 20 years ago. The Barracuda is a good vise though.

Spending a lot of money on a vice does not mean your going to be a better tyer. I you can't tie well on a standard Renz traveler then your not going to do any better on a Master. Spending that kind of money is pretty much just for show. Now would I turn one away if it was free, or I could get one at about the third of the cost, no way.

Spending a lot of money on a vice does not mean your going to be a better tyer. I you can't tie well on a standard Renz traveler then your not going to do any better on a Master. Spending that kind of money is pretty much just for show. Now would I turn one away if it was free, or I could get one at about the third of the cost, no way.

I see no problem in spending money for something you want. If you have the money spend it, if you don't then don't... pretty clear cut. It's not a issue of genuine skill but rather a mind game. For instance, when a swimmer shaves his/her body, it doesn't make them any faster but it feels that way!

Same applies with a vise. You're not going to have better flies with a expensive vise but it's going to give you a good mental confidence boost.

He never said it was going to make him tie better. Not sure were you got that.

Spending that kind of money is just for show, I don't think so. That is making a pretty ridiculous claim to say that anyone who buys a $700 vise is doing it just for show.

If he wants the vise, he wants it. None your beeswax why he wants it.

He never said it was going to make him tie better. Not sure were you got that.

Spending that kind of money is just for show, I don't think so. That is making a pretty ridiculous claim to say that anyone who buys a $700 vise is doing it just for show.

If he wants the vise, he wants it. None your beeswax why he wants it.

Just giving my opinion, if you agree or not, really don't matter. He can go buy two of them for all I care.

Let's leave it at that. Troutbum and I both agree you get more for your coin with the Dyna-King and others think Renzetti is the way to go. Chevy or Ford? Honda or Toyota? Koenigsegg or Bugatti? Paper or plastic? The world may never know.