Fly Tying
djmyers

Chain Stone

Thanks Dean! Looks like I need to place another order with Stockard's... :D

Try Walmart, Hobby Lobby, or Michael's.....bought a huge bag of colored bead chains perfect for this very tie. Got a whole assortment of colors in 6 inch lengths. Black, red, yellow, orange, two shades of green, two shades of blue, purple, and even teal. Paid like $4 for it...it was a "keychain kit" for kid's crafts.

This is a very cool tie! Gonna have to tie one of these myself!

Awesome pattern! Heavy, lots of action, and pretty damn realistic....what else could you want out of a stonefly nymph? Makes me wish I was this creative :wallbash: .

rarely see something this new with out-of-the-box thinking!

thanks for posting this one!

my twisted mind now turns to a lot of other things that could be done with this.

id imagine the movement to be good!

camoham

Great fly. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I just found my next fly for letumgo's NonStop NonSwap swap. Don't know how they'll be in a size 6 but the big Black Stones are right around the corner. I might "bush-up" in between the beads some. :headbang:

There are different size bead chains. I just got some the other day from j.stockard. The large size will be great for at least an 8 and will be ok for a 6. Be careful when "bush-up" in between the beads cause this will take the action away. It doesn't take much to lock the beads and prevent the motion. The hardest thing about this pattern is securing it to the hook so that it doesn't twist at all.

I would love to hear some success stories from you guys that tie them up.

candidate for a variation of the next thing i tie up.

some mutations for warmwater applications.

camoham

candidate for a variation of the next thing i tie up.

some mutations for warmwater applications.

camoham

Would be great to see the variations. Post pics when you got em.

well, i wasnt sure of the correct proportions or hook size...........so i went small with this one.

i also did not use raffia for a body casing. due to size i just found the longest biots i had................tied them around midsection...............and when finished pulled them forward and tied them off.

chainstone1.jpg

i used a size 10 wet hook and some really small silver bead chain............then 'blacked' the chain with a marker in some sections.

trick with chain was...........tie it on shank first. i then switched the hook backwards in the vise and used hemos to hold the chain while attaching the 2 biots.

the warped person in me will experiment with a non 'stone' fly with this. id think yellow, red, purple biots............more bugginess.................and maybe some silly legs would be fun. think of a way to squeeze some saddle in somewhere?

the whole movement of the chain is an awesome idea.

apoligies for dragging this one to the top again.............but i think this one will catch some fish.

camoham

oh yeah,

i cant imagine trying to hackle a chain link.................that'd be just no fun at all.

possible maybe............but you better have some more curved nosed/surgical hemos ready.

camoham

oh yeah,

i cant imagine trying to hackle a chain link.................that'd be just no fun at all.

possible maybe............but you better have some more curved nosed/surgical hemos ready.

camoham

Just tye off between each bead. then hackle the next joint, so on and so forth, maybe make a super articulated wooly buger! Yah I can see it now! See yah, headed to the vice!

a very intersting fly- be sure to report after you've had a chance to fish it!

B) ,

R

clarkii.

Back to the top, with a suggestion

when tying the chain to the hook, I found it much easier to crush the last bead and take it off the "link" then the end of the link can easily be tied in, and it will still have its flange. I dont think that it really has to go perfectly straight out of the back of the hook.

Joe