Fly Tying
Dart

Popper Swap II

I'll just take a little longer than i normally would.

If you don't mind them looking not so good then i'll tie them in forceps but i'd rather wait.

Will you be able to get them to me by June 1st? I'm not going to hold up the whole group for one set of flies.

I'll just take a little longer than i normally would.

If you don't mind them looking not so good then i'll tie them in forceps but i'd rather wait.

Mark, do you have a fly club in your area? or a friend that ties? Maybe you could borrow a vise for your tying until you get one for yourself (not just saying that for this swap but for your general dilemma).

As I mentioned in your "Noooo" post, I tied on a borrowed vise after my Herter's vise bent out of shape. A friend of mine's father had become to busy to tie flies and said if I tied him flies, I could use his Regal for as long as I wanted.

Kirk

I'll see If i have any friends that would let me borrow theirs.

I got a great set of poppers from GPD today. Thanks for the extras, I'll definitely put them to use! My wife particularly liked the googly eyes. :hyst:

Hope to have mine done in a few days....crazy at work...not a lot of free time l;ately, but I have them ready to paint and dress. The hard part is done. Can't wait to see these flies! Jeff, will be sending you a little "something-something" with these flies.

Hope to have mine done in a few days....crazy at work...not a lot of free time l;ately, but I have them ready to paint and dress. The hard part is done. Can't wait to see these flies! Jeff, will be sending you a little "something-something" with these flies.

Sounds good, Chris. I'll try to have your "sum-sum" ready for this shipment as well. You should give me a call at some point. I need to pick your brain on the balsa.

Got most of them painted...have not epoxied yet..will post a few pics when I get home in the AM...going with a froggy pattern for this swap...they turn a lot of fish for me on my local haunts.

Mine are going to change from balsa to foam have not had any luck getting mine to work right just to inconsistent. Will have the foamies out next week if it is okay to change from balsa to foam.

Well, most of them are ready to seal with epoxy....I love the classic feel of balsa popper....

post-20880-1274131850_thumb.jpg

post-20880-1274131881_thumb.jpg

Chris, those are gonna be nice. I look forward to seeing them. The body shape is similar to mine except mine are a little shorter. I stole your idea. :hyst:

Robert, no problem on changing materials. I'm just now getting the balsa so I'm satisfied with it... and I've been through a LOT of balsa, so I know what you're going through.

The finish always looks rough until they're sealed. The epoxy fills and seals the gaps and valleys in the balsa and the paint. I'm always amazed at the difference once the epoxy has been applied and cured. I was going to finish a few this evening before my shift, but I'm having a hard time finding 2 ton epoxy. Noone has it in my town. May to do a little scouting this evening and finish them on Wednesday. I hope these will be satisfactory for all the swappers. I leave the bottom of the balsa plug square. It gives the fly a nice "pop" with minimal stripping. I love this style of popper.

hope the pike don't shred this one on ya, Paul. They should turn out okay. I don't think I'll be too ashamed of these. The last batch I did sucked...used 5 minute epoxy and it ruined the finish.

I didn't mail mine out yet...I went fishing instead.

yak00.jpg

Don't hate.

Not a popper fishery cause the smallies are moving in to spawn at the same time the salmon smolts and fry are flushing down the river.

June 9th is my next small mouth trip. 4 day float on the john day river. :yahoo: :yahoo:

I know I'm cutting it close but I hope the swap turns around in time. (I will include a priority mailer)

should get the hopper poppers in the mail tomorrow.

those balsa frogs and every thing else posted here looks great...I can't wait!