Fly Tying

A monstrous wasp!

I'd been meaning to post this beast for some time now. I was standing in my yard when I heard what sounded like a mouse falling through the needles of the Pine tree behind me. It turned out to be this scary little guy! As best I can tell it seems to be some variety of European Hornet. Wicked!

The facts

post-31-1097004618.jpg

I seen a show not long ago about those giant japanese hornets. Them group of them crazy things attack honey bee hives and eat all the residents of the hive within a few minutes. Crazy stuff! blink.gif

Watched a BASS (stupid friggin' things! rolleyes.gif ) take a wasp in mid-flight once- up, gulp, and back down

AND THEN SPIT THAT SUCKER RIGHT OUT and start thrashing around because it got it's mouth stung! dry.gif (Wasp came back to the surface, buzzed around a while and finally drowned.

QUOTE (DFix @ Oct 5 2004, 02:50 PM)
Watched a BASS (stupid friggin' things! rolleyes.gif ) take a wasp in mid-flight once- up, gulp, and back down

AND THEN SPIT THAT SUCKER RIGHT OUT and start thrashing around because it got it's mouth stung! dry.gif (Wasp came back to the surface, buzzed around a while and finally drowned.

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Well, this is what you get from a fish that has a mouth roughly the diameter of its head! biggrin.gif It tries to eat anything it can swallow... much like some of the guys I went to college with... cool.gif

This quality of bass makes them endearing, though, to those who like fishing with overly large flies...

QUOTE (Kingfisher @ Oct 12 2004, 05:24 AM)
Well, this is what you get from a fish that has a mouth roughly the diameter of its head! biggrin.gif It tries to eat anything it can swallow... much like some of the guys I went to college with... cool.gif
This quality of bass makes them endearing, though, to those who like fishing with overly large flies...

I read the last few posts and almost fell out of my chair laughing. lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

We have lots of those around here. We call them digger wasps, as they are not as communal as other bees, or wasps, and they build nests in holes they dig in the ground. They are not as mean as some other species, and they usually attck cicadas, or hoppers. I was lead to believe that they are killing the cicadas to drag into their den, and lay eggs in it. I have seen some of them as long as 3"!

I have seen some huge wasps but the largest was definitely the cicada killer. It is a huge wasp at least 3 inches long and from what I hear it gives one heck of a sting.user posted image

Whoa! Okay, I'm getting this sick desire to see one of these wasps fight a Tarantula Hawk. Yes, I watch that animal vs. animal show on Animal Network!

we got a nest of those big hosea's in a tree next to our house. they sow absolutely no aggresion to humans. i have walked up to one hanging out on a tree and touched its back-it didnt even mind! the fact that they drag them cicadas into their nests and lay eggs in their bodies give me the willies! shocking.gif