Fly Tying
deeky

A Hook I Came Across

Here's a hook I ended up with as my dad was going through some old stuff and cleaning out. I think just having it around scares my wife a little, but too bad. It measures a full 4 inches long.

post-3964-1276228032_thumb.jpg

The really cool part - if you look close at the front of the shank, it was actually stamped. The closeups-

post-3964-1276228148_thumb.jpg

And the flipside -

post-3964-1276228192_thumb.jpg

I've never seen a hook stamped with information like this before. Between that and the size, I wonder if it wasn't a promotional piece for the company.

Deeky

That's pretty cool. I'd hold on to that one just for the novelty. Any idea on age?

I've never seen one stamped like that but I used to use a hook that size in tying classes to demonstrate the jam knot, half hitch and whip finish using twine.

Kirk

I have no idea on the age. My dad didn't even realize he had it, so has no idea where it came from, whether it was in his stuff from the storage unit or even from stuff of my grandpa's. I might try to track down some info from Mustad themselves just for curiosity. It just doesn't seem like standard gear.

Deeky

My dad had some like that he got them when he was a commercial fisherman in the 50's

Actually it is still the official name of the company, just unofficially shortened for marketing and ease.

Mustad still makes a very similar hook. I know Jann's Netcraft sells them, I've bought a few.

It's a common hook. Not too old by the looks of it. not much value. Most hook makers use to mark their large hooks with their name on one side and location on the other. Would make a nice key fob.

Looks like a turtle hook.Used for setting lines for snapping turtles, some states require the hook to be 2"s long to be legal.

Thanks Ronn, that's what I was looking for. Didn't expect it to be worth much, just surprised by the markings.

One of those "pieces of junk to just lay around" as she refers to them.

Deeky