Fly Tying
RoaringForkFlyer

Ok fly veterans.. need your opinions

I'm back in the Rocky Mountains after a long stint in the South. I used to fly a lot and tied some but have been out of it for far too long. Now I'm wanting to get back in the saddle.

I've read a LOT on here about which vise, certain scissors, and how kits suck but I finally decided to register and ask a few questions.

VISES & KITS: People at some fly shops have actually steered me TOWARDS a kit and away from buying piecemeal, claiming that they'd been, "tying for years on the Bass Pro vise and it works just fine. No need to spend more unless you want to." SO SERIOUSLY... I know that kits come with a bunch of unneeded stuff but for bang and buck... is there truly a HUGE downside?

Bottom line; I've got around $200 available now to jump back into tying and I'd like to get the basics out of the way. I'm in the Rocky Mountains and I'll be tying Adams, Caddis, nymphs, and other whatnot but mainly those. I'd LOVE to have a primo vise and such but I don't have the funds right now and I KNOW that kits "suck" but please be honest, can I get a low end vise and tie Adams throughout the summer in a way that will be effective and not a huge headache?

If not, I'd love some help on which way to go with tools and a vise that total under $200.

Thanks for all the help in the previous threads from other beginners I've read. I really have liked reading through what you've written and I appreciate the way you have helped beginners like myself from whatever level we come in at. Hopefully I can return the favor someday in the future to another beginner.

just make sure you find a vice that will hold the size hooks you need then you should be set.. i use an AA vice and tie 22s on it. i want a vice that has a slimmer set of jaws instead of the bell shape and true rotary features but for now i'm most grateful for what i have.

and you may want to check out ebay often i see boxes of material going for way cheap. or look at KSL.com some times utah folk basically give their surplus away.

The AAs go for under 20 bucks BTW

I teach alot of kids tying and most are not able to throw $200 at tying tools and supplies. Cabelas sells a basic tying kit for around $30 . I don't care for the whip finisher much . I would replace it with a Martineli style . But that's just personal preference.

With the economy the way it is I am more often telling my students to start out with basic tools until they can decide for themselves when it's time to upgrade . Some nicer tools do make some aspect of tying possible or even more enjoyable . But I think beggining tiers can have fun and grow as a tier with even the most basic of tools.

Welcome to the obsession.

Fred

just make sure you find a vice that will hold the size hooks you need then you should be set.. i use an AA vice and tie 22s on it. i want a vice that has a slimmer set of jaws instead of the bell shape and true rotary features but for now i'm most grateful for what i have.

and you may want to check out ebay often i see boxes of material going for way cheap. or look at KSL.com some times utah folk basically give their surplus away.

The AAs go for under 20 bucks BTW

Thanks Devin! Great site and I'll take my hook size into greater account.

I teach alot of kids tying and most are not able to throw $200 at tying tools and supplies. Cabelas sells a basic tying kit for around $30 . I don't care for the whip finisher much . I would replace it with a Martineli style . But that's just personal preference.

With the economy the way it is I am more often telling my students to start out with basic tools until they can decide for themselves when it's time to upgrade . Some nicer tools do make some aspect of tying possible or even more enjoyable . But I think beggining tiers can have fun and grow as a tier with even the most basic of tools.

Welcome to the obsession.

Fred

This is some of what I was hoping for Fred. Thanks for the honest response. I'll check out Cabelas kit but having tied a bit when I was a teenager, I think I might want a bit more. But my question was about efficiency and cost and that may be the way to go.

Thanks again for your expertise, especially being a teacher. I would like to buy one step above my "upgrade rate" meaning, I'd rather not buy TOTAL entry level stuff that I'll upgrade FOR SURE... and instead, buy just that one step up.

Again, I just need to perfect a few local flies this summer and we'll call it a success for now.

....problem is.. I'm so antsy and ready to get back to tying that I'm finding it hard to not just make some impulse buy. ;)

Another suggestion is buy hooks off ebay in the sizes you need. You can get them for 5 bucks a hundred, and are great to practice on. I've bought a bunch off there and they are OK for starting tying.

When I began, I bought a kit and I wish that I could go back and do it again because all of the material I bought, I ended up running out of quick and bought more, which is better quality and has a ton more in it.

Buy it piece by piece. Buy all your tools from J stockard, they have a cheap brand on their website.

Tools/etc:

Thompson AA vise (never used one, only heard good things about it): $20

Bobbin (http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/OF-900170-0000/81700/Just-Simply-Tools-Stainless-Bobbin.html): $5

Bodkin(http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/OF-900400-0000/81700/Just-Simply-Tools-Bodkin--Half-Hitch-Tool.html): $2

Scissors (http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/OF-900270-0000/81700/Just-Simply-Tools-3-12): $5

Whip Finisher (Jstockard)(A must for beginners) : $5

Hackle Pliers (http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/OF-900530-0000/81700/Just-Simply-Tools-English-Hackle-Plier.html) : $2

Tools Total: $39 (think this will get you started)

My internet is going really slow, or else i would link materials for you also.

But, here is my list of things you should get and estimates.

Buy hooks from 789fly off ebay (good starter hooks).

Size 12 & 14 dry, 100 of each- $12

Size 12 and 14 wet nymph, 100 of each - $12

Beads 1/8th 100 ( http://www.canadianllama.com/index.php?mai...20bjq43eki3m36) - $4.50

Hooks and Beads - $28.50

Materials (These are estimates)

Head Cement - $4

Hares Mask - $4

Metz Micro Saddle Hackle (http://www.jsflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/item/NM-620045-0000/75500/Metz-Micro-Barb-Rooster-Saddle,-Grade-#2.html)- $29

Lead Wire - $3

Uni-Thread 6/0 White- $2

Total: $110

And you can go from there. Just look up what patterns you want, but all of that is what I would buy. You still would have plenty to spend if you want.

JStockard also gives $5 dollars off your first order. I would buy all my materials from them. Hope that gets you started. Ask if you have more questions.

There is no need to purchase hooks from eBay, if the site sponsor is selling a house brand hook for less. See my reply to Panfishing about vises. If you want a step up, check out Griffin Enterprises. They have a web exclusive for $60.00 on a really solid vise, which should work well for years. Their tools are excellent quality too. Or get tools from the J Stokard. Hooks and materials from J Stockard are wery competively priced.

http://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/web-exclusive.html

utyer is right. I didnt realize hooks were that cheap from Jstockard, but they are 100 hooks for 6 bucks on ebay. Better to just get everything from Jstockard honestly. Helps support the forum!

head out to one of the many front range fly shops and get their advise on what to buy and tie.

tell them your budget and they should be able to set you up.

sit down with a shop worker or owner about the pros and cons of each vise you are looking at.

tell them what flies you want to tie and ask them to show you the materials you will need. buy only that amount of materials for now.

never rely on your local fly shop or an online fly shop to have evrything in stock. i can gaurantee they dont!

I still think kits stink. You don't have to buy an expensive vise though either. I would think that you could get a vise, basic tools, and materials to tie some of the flies you want for under $200. You can then add materials for more flies as you are able. I would go visit fly shops like mentioned above.

I still think kits stink. You don't have to buy an expensive vise though either. I would think that you could get a vise, basic tools, and materials to tie some of the flies you want for under $200. You can then add materials for more flies as you are able. I would go visit fly shops like mentioned above.

I second your suggestion. I still think kits stink too. I bought a couple of Cabela's kits for my boys several years ago. The "Master" vises they came with required so much force to tighten the jaws on trout-sized hooks to keep them from slipping that the boys were simply not strong enough to clamp hooks without my assistance. They also weren't strong enough to release the hooks once the flies were tied. Who knows what all that force did to the integrity of the hooks. I would suggest purchasing an inexpensive but decent, reputable vise outside of a kit. I agree, you can do all this within $200 without resorting to a "kit."

-- Mike

Wow fellas, that's much more than I'd hoped for. A lot of great suggestions and direction on where to head.

After your firsthand experience, I can see that kits are not the way to go and after many of your posts it's obvious I can get a decent set-up under $200 buying piece by piece.

Thank you again. I'm going to get over to Denver to check out some fly shops as well as hit up the ones here. The tools and prices Lionus posted are great and I'll probably go that route after doing a bit more research.

Thanks again guys! Any further tips you have, I'd love to hear 'em.

Alright fellas, I did it.

I followed many of your suggestions pretty much all the way. Lionus, I must say that you were correct in your pricing and I must thank you a lot for your specific links and help. That's the kind of stuff I was hoping for when I came to this forum. All good advice from you guys; got the best hook packs, quality starter vise, and avoided the kit curse.

Thanks again guys.

Hopefully I'll be tying within the week! :D

See you on the water.

It was no problem. I am constantly looking at fly tying stuff anyways, so it gave me a purpose. I'm still new into tying and I know what it is like to attempt to figure it out. Glad I can help someone get a jump start in this hobby. Just keep asking questions when they come up and people on the board will be sure to help.

When that happy day comes to buy the vise of your dreams that old one still has lots of uses:

1. Showing your friend how to tie.

2. Holding a fly while it dries

3. Holding a "sample" fly that you are trying to match.

4. A spare if the the "nice" vice breaks or needs a part.

5. A travel vise.

Spare tools have the same functions.