Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Wing burner question

I've been looking at wing burners (stone fly set right now) but i've never used or even seen them used so i'm wondering if anyone has used them and how exactly do they work?

Been seeing 3 pc sets for $10-15 ...they worth it, work good or un needed?

SD

Very well worth it if you plan to make multiples of mayflies, caddis duns, etc.- Not a waste of money over the long term.

You grip a feather in the form, with the quill protected by the metal and positioned how you want it, color and so forth. Then you fire up your blowtorch ohmy.gif and burn the pattern clean by taking off what's outside the metal form.

Hmmm thought that was the method but wasnt sure. Ok then that leaves another question in my mind, if your actually burning the shape of the wing then i'm guessing that leaves a burnt edge on the feather used for the wing. Does that end up looking alright? just seems a bit strange sounding to me but maybe thats because i've never really seen burned wings in person.

you can save you some money by making them out of brass. Take a strip of brass about an inch wide and about 10 inches long. Use pliars to bend the brass in half and them smash the two peices together firmly.

Cut out the desired wing shape/size in the brass with cutting pliars or a dremel. Heat and Burn Away!!!!

JARROD

I've burned a few wings.. and there is a burnt edge left but it seems to just wipes away.. ohh and your gonna love the smell.. tongue.gif

All this talk of burners has my interest peaked.

Does the burnt edge keep the wings together?

Currenty I use head cement to keep my wings from splitting, I would definately be interested in making up something out of brass if the wings would hold together without some form of glue

This should interest you guys

Use these wing burners on old drier sheets

(you know the ones that you use to reduce static in the clothes dryer)

Makes a nice wing (don't use the foam sheets)

OSD.

Use markers to color the dryer sheets. I've used them for wing cases but never with wing burners.

Bamboo

Bob,

I have used the dryer shets, and I must concur! Makes a great wing, especially for the larger mayflies.

And to answer a previous question, no the burnt edge doesn't hold the wing together. The burnt edge usually just sloughs away when you touch it, but for a more durable wing, I suggest you use a VERY LIGHT coat of THINNED cement. All you want the cement to do is to secure the fibers of the material ( quill segments in particular) together for a more durable wing. Using a thin coat provides just enough coverage without adding unecessary weight to the wing and disturbing the bouyancy of the fly ( speaking, of course, of dries in this instance). But for big nymphs with burnt wings, apply all the cement you think is necessary, as keeping the fly aloft in the film is not a priority.

QUOTE (steeldrifter @ Oct 8 2004, 10:17 PM)
I've been looking at wing burners (stone fly set right now) but i've never used or even seen them used so i'm wondering if anyone has used them and how exactly do they work?

Been seeing 3 pc sets for $10-15 ...they worth it, work good or un needed?

SD

Hey Steel Don't have a set of stonefly burners, but I have a set of caddis fly burners. Never use em. Free to a good home. Shoot me your address by PM and I'll slip em in the mail. Someone might as well get some use out of em.

John

QUOTE (steeldrifter @ Oct 9 2004, 10:35 PM)
You got PM John...thanks thats very nice of you to do smile.gif cool.gif headbang.gif

Got it. Monday is a holiday, I'll get it in the mail tuesday. Should take about a week. I keep forgetting you guys are American eh!