Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
BigDaddyHub

Classic Deceivers

Just messing around with a classic. Will be sending a few of these to my bud Paul in MI. Maybe he can put them in some fishy waters.

Nice variation on the classic Deceiver, I like the rabbit substitute for the saddle hackle tail - great idea! All your friend has to do is find the fish, they'll eat these for sure.

Kirk

Thank you Kirk. I like the wiggle the rabbit gives the tail end of the fly and it helps "fill" the profile. I started leaving the hackle feathers off of my Deceivers after I realized they still took fish even after the smallies and gar had shredded the feathers off. I use 8/0 thread for most of the heads. It takes much longer to build a head, but the heads are neat and tight. I still can't paint eyes for crap, though. That's why I tied these...just an excuse to work on my painted eyes. They are a bit better than the last ones I tied back in the spring.

Rabbit is tough. I've used 6/0 but never 8/0, you're a better man than me!

I prefer 3/0 or the 210 denier thread and spin the bobbin to get the twists out and then build up the head with the flattened thread, really smooth results.

Those eyes look fine, practice will get them how you want. What are you using to paint the eyes?

I used to use quarter inch dowels that I sharpened the ends in a pencil sharpener and then cut each one off at a different point on the cone to get different diameter ends. Then dip the end in acrylic paint, using the paint in the lid that remains after shaking the bottle, and dab it on the head for the eye, then after the colored eye dries, I would use the next smaller dowel to dot the black pupil.

I have since changed to different sized nail heads. I chucked some 6d common nails and 4Penny finishing nails (one at a time of course) in a drill and turned down the heads on a steel file to create different diameter stamps. I then inserted the nails in a wooden stick for a longer handle. Either way works good.

Kirk

Using the same method, Kirk, but I shaped a few stray pieces of balsa down into different diameters. I did eyes on a bucktail streamer that had three colors and it turned out great! Red for the first dot, then yellow, then a very small black pupil. It's on a smaller sz 4 fly and once I varnished up the head, the eyes looked almost real. Was very pleased with that one. I have a small tumor (benign) on the only kidney I have and it affects the adrenaline gland...it makes the gland pump more than it should....so after a hard day of physical activity , whcich is most days, it's sometimes hard to "come down". I often have shaky hands which makes eyes very frustrating, but the eyes are getting better with each attempt.

Pat, YOU tickle me!! I just watched that again! I love it....the brown stain on the tighty-whities is the real clincher of the whole thing!

i like your olive/yellow/white one the best

i use a #2 saltwater hook yellow/white one on the big manistee here in michigan for brown trout all the time

another good classic fly to try is the brooks blonde also yellow/white

i like your olive/yellow/white one the best

i use a #2 saltwater hook yellow/white one on the big manistee here in michigan for brown trout all the time

another good classic fly to try is the brooks blonde also yellow/white

BFR,

The olive/yellow was tied excusively for big browns on the Cumberland! One of my favs for smallies holding in pools as well.

cool I'm going to hit the seam of the rifle where the west branch joins the main branch on Thursday so these will be put to some heavy work outs on some big nasty browns and bronze backs last time up there hit a 20/20 on 2 different species and a 19/20 on a third species that was a great day fishing a size 20 mosquito a brown a small mouth and a rainbow in the same hole