Fly Tying
Robert M

How many Flies?

I would like to do a Step By Step Swap

where each participant either sends written instructions for tying a fly with full size images attached. Or sends a hook with each major step of the fly tied so that I can take the picture of the steps to go with the instructions. Any partially tied flies would be returned to the sender after they are photographed and the swap is complete. At the end of the swap each person will get X(TBD) flies from the other participants and a PDF file of all the SBS's submitted.

If I opened this to as many people who would like to join and there were more than say 15 who joined how many completed flies should be sent in with the SBS for distribution?

where each participant either sends written instructions for tying a fly with full size images attached. Or sends a hook with each major step of the fly tied so that I can take the picture of the steps to go with the instructions. Any partially tied flies would be returned to the sender after they are photographed and the swap is complete. At the end of the swap each person will get X(TBD) flies from the other participants and a PDF file of all the SBS's submitted.

If I opened this to as many people who would like to join and there were more than say 15 who joined how many completed flies should be sent in with the SBS for distribution?

(X) number swappers would equate to (X) number complete flies per tier. So 15 Swappers would = 15 flies per tier.

(X) number swappers would equate to (X) number complete flies per tier. So 15 Swappers would = 15 flies per tier.

Let me see if I can make better sense of what I originally asked. :wallbash: Don't think I am doing too well on this one.

Okay if I was to open up this swap to as many people as were interested and a large number signed up. (Not likely considering the initial response)

A. Have everyone tie one fly for each participant and get a like amount plus the SBS info?

B. Split the amount in half and have basically two groups of flies sent back but everyone gets the SBS info?

C. Break the group up into 10 or less flies, split them, and get PDF Info

D. Have everyone tie each step of the fly pattern and one completed fly and get back the SBS info plus a random fly

The main reason for the swap isn't as much for the flies themselves as it is for the Step by Step documentation for tying each pattern.

I think (A) would be the easiest choice. Have everyone select a pattern to tie and include an SBS document for that pattern, or perhaps have the tiers post an SBS within the thread during or at the end of the swap. A lot of times I'm trying to tie a fly from a photo, so having an SBS to work from would be great.

I think (A) would be the easiest choice. Have everyone select a pattern to tie and include an SBS document for that pattern, or perhaps have the tiers post an SBS within the thread during or at the end of the swap. A lot of times I'm trying to tie a fly from a photo, so having an SBS to work from would be great.

Robert was asking if he has 50 or 100 people sign up how many flies do you have each person tie? If it was me running a swap I would put a set number of people. Since everyone have a life beside tying flies and we can not always tie what we think we can. With a set number of people it could be easy to tie up one or two more ties as a swap master if some one fails to tie the required flies by the required date.

Mike P.

Seems like a lot of trouble to me. I may not want or need a SBS for every fly in a swap. In the past when I have received a fly in a swap that I wanted to know more about I just send a PM to the tier. I always thought that was one of the reasons for toe tags. Just my two cents worth.

Seems like a lot of trouble to me. I may not want or need a SBS for every fly in a swap. In the past when I have received a fly in a swap that I wanted to know more about I just send a PM to the tier. I always thought that was one of the reasons for toe tags. Just my two cents worth.

It is and I do the same, but I also like to SBS's out there for lots of patterns because for beginners or when you are trying to do a completely new pattern the pic's can come in very handy to get you through the sequence.

one of these were ran before I think by breambuster and what was required was the tier posted the SBS in the forum under the step by step section then just sent the number of flies as there were tiers http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?sho...;hl=breambuster

i would