Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
notenuftoys

Sources for glass beads

I know the fly tying supply outfits, like J Stockard sell glass beads, but what other sources have you guys used? I just bought the book "Modern Midges", and there's a lot of different glass beads used and I'm looking at alternatives places to get these.

I know the fly tying supply outfits, like J Stockard sell glass beads, but what other sources have you guys used? I just bought the book "Modern Midges", and there's a lot of different glass beads used and I'm looking at alternatives places to get these.

I get allot of mine from JoAnn Fabrics. You can also get them from most craft stores like Michaels and Hobby Lobby. Also walmrt, target, and meijer but there selection is not that great. 11/0 seed beads is them smallest I have been able to find in stores but you can order smaller of the net.

Mike P.

For the patterns in "Modern Midges" I like size 11/0 Toho and Delica beads down for size 18 and 20 midges, and size 15/0 for size 22 and 24 midges. I can find the 11/0 sizes in a number of colors locally, but I buy all the 15/0's and colors of 11/0 I can't find on eBay. Lots of colors available, with different finishes and transparencies. Not hard to get 3 - 4000 beads for about $4.

Thanks for the replies. Esquire, I appreciate the sizing. That helps a lot.

3-4000 beads will last me 5 lifetimes, but it's still cheaper than buying through a fly tying shop.

Hobby Lobby has glass bead assortments for cheap. I can't remember what I bought mine for but it was cheap considering the quantity I got. I have yet to sort them by color but suffice it to say they will last me the rest of my life.

Thanks for the replies. Esquire, I appreciate the sizing. That helps a lot.

3-4000 beads will last me 5 lifetimes, but it's still cheaper than buying through a fly tying shop.

Yeah sure help another shop go under..

Nothing keeps my local fly shop from competing in service. I'd love to be able to handle really small beads prior to buying them, to see what the color really is - but the fly shops (if they stock glass beads) will stock Killer Caddis beads in sizes too large, and colors I'm not interested in. Wouldn't be too hard for a fly shop to establish some sort of relationship with a local bead shop to restock rather than paying what I'm assuming is higher prices from Wapsi to transfer the beads from boxes to plastic containers.

Love my local shop to death, and I buy everything I can from them. But when I can find a source and get stuff the shop won't/can't carry, I'm going to buy there with a clear conscience.