Fly Tying
letumgo

Table Scraps

I made this fly from various materials I found lying around on my tying table (thus the name "Table Scraps"). The hackle is made from some wild turkey tail which I burned in a dilute bleach solution. The burning process removes the tiny velcro-like fibers that hold the feather together. The fibers make a nice substitute for spey hackle (ie - blue ear pheasant).

Here is a photo of the burnt turkey tail feathers.

post-4573-1289273513_thumb.jpg

Rocky - The turkey tail fibers were tyed in two small bunches. I first make two loose thread wraps to hold the bundle of fibers in place. The thread wraps should be loose enough to allow the fibers to be moved/adjusted. The fibers are then distribute around the hook shank by pressing on the butt ends with your thumbnail. Once happy with their distribution, take a few tight wraps to secure the fibers in place. Repeat the process with a second small batch to get the density of fibers you want. After the second batch of fibers is secured, trim off the butt ends and finish wrapping the fly.

I like the idea of burning the feather with the bleach that is a technique I have never heard of before. Great job!

Same here! Now I know what I am doing this afternoon

I think I can find your "table scraps" among mine, but they don't seem to turn into such a nice fly.

It has a nice feel to it, like one would find in a 60's-70's flybox from southern Oregon, northern Cal,

as a steelhead october caddis pattern, but with a spey touch.

regards,

Michael