Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyfishing99

Slammer crawling out from under my rock

Sorry, a typo. Title should read "Spammer"

Hi,

I have fairly recently been participating in this forum as well as flyanglers.com. I am retired now, so I have time to devote to my passion of fly fishing and fly tying. I have even started my own blog at flyfishing99.blogspot.com

This morning, on my blog there was an anonymous comment which said that I was spamming sites with my crap and that I should crawl back under my rock. This ugly comment may have come because I posted the same post about the old Xuron vise being made again on both of the mentioned forums.

Previously, a fellow by the name "Big E" had responded to a post of mine about a new vise I bought with a picture of a can of spam.

Luckily, these two crude comments seem to be the exception to the rule and I find most folks at these two forums to be educated and civil.

One of my personal "vices" is my collecting of fly tying vises. I really enjoy tying on quality vises of all types. One of my personal favorites from the past is the Xuron vise. I was excited to see that someone was still making them, so I made the same post about that on both forums hoping younger tiers could be aware of an old vise system which I think is quite unique.

I often wonder what may have gone so wrong in someone's life that they revert to being a bully and try that tactic on others. One of the things that has made me love fly fishing so much is that the vast majority of fly fishers are really nice, friendly, and helpful people. It is really disappointing to find one like the one who made such a comment on my blog. Obviously, from the content of his comment he is among the otherwise nice folks who post and view on these forums.

Thank you,

Not anonymous (Byron Haugh) I can be reached at [email protected]

Hi Byron,

Unfortunately this happens from time to time. One of the drawbacks of the internet, the "anonymous" people who feel the need to ridicule or strike out to make themselves feel better I guess.

I've been doing business on the internet for about 10yrs now and I've come across some really weird things.

My advise is not to let it get to you. Chalk it up to just one of those things your going to see online no matter where you go. As you say the majority of the people who you may deal with online are good people like here on FTF.

Mike

Hi Byron,

Unfortunately this happens from time to time. One of the drawbacks of the internet, the "anonymous" people who feel the need to ridicule or strike out to make themselves feel better I guess.

I've been doing business on the internet for about 10yrs now and I've come across some really weird things.

My advise is not to let it get to you. Chalk it up to just one of those things your going to see online no matter where you go. As you say the majority of the people who you may deal with online are good people like here on FTF.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I believe you are correct

I for one enjoyed your post on the Xuron vice.........I still have my original Thompson "A" vice I got back in the mid-late 70's.......After reading your post I think i will have to get one......from the description on the link you gave though, I don't understand the difference between the two models.......to me, they look identical in the pictures.......any insight on that? As far as the cretin posting on your blog....don't let him get to you.....

Mike

I for one enjoyed your post on the Xuron vice.........I still have my original Thompson "A" vice I got back in the mid-late 70's.......After reading your post I think i will have to get one......from the description on the link you gave though, I don't understand the difference between the two models.......to me, they look identical in the pictures.......any insight on that? As far as the cretin posting on your blog....don't let him get to you.....

Mike

I had both and liked the standard better. More stable. The deluxe has Knurled knob to hold the stem v a wing nut

The deluxe had some adjustment or something which, on mine led to movement

The other guys who responded may remember better than I.

Short of the rotary function, they were very very good

Don't worry about it there's always one somewhere on the different boards. I've posted many duplicate comments on different boards cause quite frankly not everyone goes to the same boards and I want as many answers and opinions as I can get!!!!! I'm still a rank ameture at 4 years in the fly fishing game and I'll take all the help I can get LOL.

Jump right in and have fun cause we all do

Fatman

I saw you get that can of spam on that post. I didn't really understand it either other than I think it was your 1st or 2nd post and someone thought you were trying to drum up sales for the xuron. I truley enjoyed reading about that vice and would love to collect them like you but that is a bit out of my budget for now. I too would just ignore the ignorant post on your blog and move on. Do not let that get to you it isn't worth it. Just know that at least here on this forum you will always be welcome to post your opinion and advice and I for one look forward to reading more from you in thr future.

Sincerely,

Bryan N. Wright

I saw you get that can of spam on that post. I didn't really understand it either other than I think it was your 1st or 2nd post and someone thought you were trying to drum up sales for the xuron. I truley enjoyed reading about that vice and would love to collect them like you but that is a bit out of my budget for now. I too would just ignore the ignorant post on your blog and move on. Do not let that get to you it isn't worth it. Just know that at least here on this forum you will always be welcome to post your opinion and advice and I for one look forward to reading more from you in thr future.

Sincerely,

Bryan N. Wright

Thanks Bryan, I appreciate your taking the time!!

When you are new to a site and all of your first few posts end in something like: "Check out more on my blog at [email protected]", people start to question your motives.

I'm sure your intentions were harmless but after years and years of checking multiple internet forums daily people start to notice red flags, and that was a pretty big one.

The best way to advertise your blog without sounding like a spammer is to place it in your signature line and never mention it again. If people like what they are reading from you they will want more, see your link and read your blog without you having to sell it in every post.

Pelhament hit this one right on the head. You register and immediately start topics with the sole intention of promoting your blog then you are destined to be labeled as a spammer.

Pelhament hit this one right on the head. You register and immediately start topics with the sole intention of promoting your blog then you are destined to be labeled as a spammer.

Thanks friends.

Nobody is trying to be "mean" to you, we are just attempting to let you know where the animosity may have come from. I'm sure that I speak for everyone here that you are more than welcomed as a member here on FTF.