Fly Tying
flyfishing99

Who do you think is the best tier you have watched tie?

I couldn't pick a best if i had a 100 years to debate it just among my-self.

But i could pick my favorite 4 even though i have only had the pleasure of actually watching one of them in the virtual classroom that was on here a couple of years ago.

In no particular order my favorite 4 are;

Bruce Darrington

Terje (dryfly purist)

Fred H.

Old Hat

These are the guys that ALWAYS put up some of the best flies you can find and each of them are willing to step-up and help out some of us less talented folk to get us on the way to replicating (sortta) their wonderful creations. I don't think that you can beat that kind of dedication to creating great flies with the combined heart for helping others these 4 have...I find my-self unable to fully express my admiration for these guys.

I haven't seen to many people tie but of the few I have watched Bruce Darrington is incredible in almost everything he touches Brent(wickedcarpenter) a true nymph master and probably the fastest tier I have ever seen Matt(day5) incredible warmwater streamer tier hell of a nice guy and great with kids for deer hair Chris Helm is incredible and last but certainly not least Fred H not only a great tier but one hell of a cook and a true southern gentleman

Unfortunately the only well known tier I have actually watched tie is Davie McPhail (sp). Although sometimes I have to replay the vid to understand exactly what he said , I think he is a true master. Another great one to watch is Oliver Edwards. I never got to see any of "our" tiers during the virtual classrooms due to work schedules...shoulda been born rich instead of handsome... :hyst:

never seen anyone in real life tie other than myself so I can't give an answer. So since I am the only one I have seen, I guess I would have to say myself lol..

Mike George- incredible deer hair. However I learned the most from watching and talking with Ward Bean. Having skills and communicating them are two different things.

Who do you think is the best tier you have watched tie?

in which category of fly tying??

soft hackles = hans weilenmann

winged wet flies = don bastian

rangely style streamers = mike martinek

catskill dry flies = dave brandt

general overall = charlie craven

There are two tiers that I have seen tie that are just awsome tiers. They have both worked with George Grant, his stone flies nymph are the artistic salmon flies of trout fishing. Those two tiers are Sue Armstrong and the other is Mike Tucker.

carlp

The best tier I have watched in person is Polly Rosborough, who tied flies at the Caddis Fly Angling Shoppe in Eugene, Oregon, one rainy afternoon many years ago. I was in awe.

As far as videos, Davie McPhail is the best I have watched. For inspiration, it is hard to beat Old Hat and Ray Letumgo Tucker; their ties are consistently fantastic, and they are always encouraging and helpful.

Two quick picks would be Harry Lemire and Bob Veverka but there are others too numerous to mention in many kinds of tying.

I take that back, I remember seeing Mike Lawson in his shop tying when I was in high school

A couple of people that come to mind are guys like Marvin Nolte, Wayne Luallen, John McLain. Poul Jorgensen, Charlie Chute, Chris Helms, Mike George, Dave Whitlock, Billy Munn, Jack Gartside, Gene Sunday, Mark Waslick, Bob Ververka, and Mike Martinick. I have had the honor and paid the price to take classes from all except Mike George (who I plan on sitting in on).

This is a very difficult thing to answer in that each decent tyer has enlightened me in many ways. I recommend that when the opportunity arises, you try and sit in on any of these guy's classes. Wayne Luallen gave an 8 hour class on thread control and I have to tell you that this class was probably one of the best!

As far as this forum, I think the number one guy I would like to meet and watch/tie with is definately Ray Letumgo Tucker, that guy has some skills!

Hey, Thanks for the Kudos Dr. Vette! I am honored

Bruce