Fly Tying
TheCream

Some carp patterns

I've read a lot about how similar patterns to bonefish flies will work on carp as well, so I tied up a few recently as test patterns to try out this spring. I've done a few Gotcha style patterns, and a few Crazy Charlie's, but somehow forgot to photo the Charlie's last night. I did these in a few different colors using craft fur for the wing, here is a tan color (used a brown marker for the barring) and dark brown:

dsc0406a.th.jpg

dsc0410ri.th.jpg

Here's the recipe I followed for the Gotcha's, I subbed in Krystal Flash for the flat Diamond Braid:

-Hook: #10 2XL streamer hook

-Eyes: Medium bead chain

-Tail/Underbody: Krystal Flash, tied in and wrapped forward past eyes

-Wing: Craft fur

-Flash: Krystal Flash

I also have been playing around trying to tie the pattern "Tyler's Secret Weapon," another carp pattern that I found online. I know it's not exactly to that pattern, but it is close, I added my own little twist to it. I have done a few of these in rust, olive, and purple:

dsc0413f.th.jpg

dsc0420d.th.jpg

dsc0426py.th.jpg

And here's the recipe I went with for the above pattern:

-Hook: #10 2X heavy nymph hook

-Bead: small copper bead

-Tail: marabou

-Body: ice dub

-Legs: barred centipede legs

-Collar: marabou tips spun in a dubbing loop

-Head: ice dub

very nice looking flies, great job. I find that orange is a good color for carp patterns too. For reason they seem to really hit anything orange ... "ish" ;).

Mike

what are you using for the body on the orange fly

edit: It pays to read lol.. nice flies

I knew I had a few orange carp type flies I tied up a while back and found them. Haven't tried them yet. Kind of based from the carp carrot fly.

Mike

post-14555-1291769263_thumb.png

post-14555-1291769300_thumb.png

I knew I had a few orange carp type flies I tied up a while back and found them. Haven't tried them yet. Kind of based from the carp carrot fly.

Mike

Is that partridge you used as the collar? I tied a few other patterns for carp recently in a very similar way, with partridge as a collar. By the way, is it March, yet? :wallbash:

Referencing the image on your right from my post, the far right wet fly is partridge and the other two nymph styles I used grouse for the legs and collar. the bodies I used a mix of antron & acrylic yarns, ya get a real nice sheen glow :)

Mike

Nice stuff. I've been tying similar flies with pretty good success. Orange is definitely the ticket in my neck of the woods.

carpycharlies.jpg

dubbycharlie.jpg

orangecrush3.jpg