Fly Tying
balsa fly rod lures

Cleaned out float tube and lure boxes today

I like to be prepared.You'll notice not many are alike.Each one has a different reason for being.

Poppers - Popper divers & Skipping bugs

post-23934-1291817062_thumb.jpg

Sliders - Rattlers -(floating,slow sinking,sinking) - Front props - Rear props - Crank baits - more poppers

post-23934-1291817427_thumb.jpg

Hope you see something here you've not seen before.

Haha, you sure do like to be prepared! Very impressive and pretty

Real nice bunch of poppers, sliders, chuggers, etc. I have a few questions:

I noticed in your second picture, that several long bodies extend out over the back of the hook, do they hook up ok?

On your long pencil bodies, what hooks are you putting them on?

Where do you fish these, Presque Isle, Pymatunning, Lake Arthur, Shenago?

I am from SW Pa, and have pontoon, looking for places to warmwater fish.

Wow that is a great assortment. Great job with those. The painting alone must take you a long time. I know it would take me a long time.

Thanks Bryan

Your forgiven,and I'll ask for the same.To me It dosn't take long to paint.These aren't

here to highlite the paint,but to show some body designs no one has seen before.Look

closer.I could spend hours painting one bug,but for what.Others can paint better than

me.I make bodies and I paint them,but making bodies is what I do best.I use paint from "Component Systems",it's designed for lures.And have used it since 1990.

Wow that is a great assortment. Great job with those. The painting alone must take you a long time. I know it would take me a long time.

Thanks Bryan

Your forgiven,and I'll ask for the same.To me It dosn't take long to paint.These aren't

here to highlite the paint,but to show some body designs no one has seen before.Look

closer.I could spend hours painting one bug,but for what.Others can paint better than

me.I make bodies and I paint them,but making bodies is what I do best.I use paint from "Component Systems",it's designed for lures.And have used it since 1990.

Yes of course forgiven and forgotten.

How do you make the bodies? Do you hand carve them from balsa wood (as your name would suggest) usind a rotary tool like a dremel? I see that you have quite the collection of different body styles, different angles on the front of the body to get different movement. Do you test all of these to see what kind of movement the front of the fly will cause in the water (fast and or slow)?

Real nice bunch of poppers, sliders, chuggers, etc. I have a few questions:

I noticed in your second picture, that several long bodies extend out over the back of the hook, do they hook up ok?

These do hook well,they are my take of an older fly rod lure I've only seen a photo of the original

they were from the Shur-luk Co.

On your long pencil bodies, what hooks are you putting them on?

I use kinked shank hooks On most every thing I make.I recently got some Lightning Strike hooks from Wapsi.I will probably be using them for any pencil poppers in the future.

Where do you fish these, Presque Isle, Pymatuning, Lake Arthur, Shenango?

Presque Isle is the only place for me.But i do hope to fish Woodcock Lake heavy here in Crawford Co.for Muskie this coming yr.

I am from SW Pa, and have pontoon, looking for places to warmwater fish.

Keep in touch please.

Thanks Bryan

here to highlight the paint,but to show some body designs no one has seen before.Look

Yes of course forgiven and forgotten.

How do you make the bodies? Do you hand carve them from balsa wood (as your name would suggest) using a rotary tool like a dremel? I see that you have quite the collection of different body styles, different angles on the front of the body to get different movement. Do you test all of these to see what kind of movement the front of the fly will cause in the water (fast and or slow)?

Each fly except one in the photos is made of Balsa wood. I don't carve any.Using a knife or razor would be to time consuming, all shaping is done with sandpaper.I use a dremel to cup faces and ruff sanding on epoxy only. Oh and to drill holes for rattles.I need very few tools. Some ideas don't even get to the test stage.When deciding on the shape of the front,I'm usually thinking of sound over motion.Usually I know what results to expect before

I start.I started doing this in the 80s.