Fly Tying
mcfly

Paint

Anyone have a good suggestion on a paint for streamer eyes? I was going to use an oil based model paint but I'm not sure if the fish would "smell" it.

I use Testers Model Paint, I feel once it's dry there's no smell

Besides if the fish is close enough to smell the paint of the eyes then its to late for the fish (FISH ON) laugh.gif

OSD.

Thanks, I usually do chain bead or painted lead for eyes but this time it just didn't fit the fly.

Black nail polish eh AA? Your wifes I hope. laugh.gif Come to think of it I wonder what colors my wife has stored away.

QUOTE (mcfly @ Oct 25 2004, 08:18 PM)
Thanks, I usually do chain bead or painted lead for eyes but this time it just didn't fit the fly.

Black nail polish eh AA? Your wifes I hope. laugh.gif Come to think of it I wonder what colors my wife has stored away.

Either model paint or nail polish - and No, it isn't my wife's - I buy it for myself! rolleyes.gif

Nail polish for sure!! Got a nice black and red, still looking for a yellow. I buy them for 3/$5; works great and cheap. I like the looks that I get walking into those goofy little shops hunting for supplies like this. shifty.gif

Art

One of my associates says yellow is available through WalMart in a brand called "The New York Company"; she thinks she's also seen it at Target (not totally sure.) I buy mine wherever the mood strikes me, whether it's CVS or any other pharmacy/convenience outfit. "Wet&Wild"; $1.00/bottle at CVS/ check out your local brand name pharmacy; neat colors including translucent metallics, around now (Halloween) you might see fluorescent overcoat, metallic pearl, metallic pumpkin orange and black, so forth.

(No flak from the peanut gallery dry.gif )

laugh.gif I've always used black laquer and model paint for eyes, they sell sticker eyes but i dont recomend them, I've yet to find a make that stays stuck.. huh.gif

I use nail polish. I used to use my wifes until she found a hackle feather in one of the bottles...that ended my free use of her polish. I never thought of picking up some fluorescent overcoat that is a good idea!

Stick-on eyes with a coating of epoxy. As far as paint, Apple Barrel acrylic craft paint is pretty good. Apply it with different size nails, dowel, etc;then coat it with epoxy or some other sealer.

I have actually stopped putting eyes on most of my streamers. It is to time consuming and I tend to lose more streamers than anything else.

Once again, just my two cents.

Andrew

stick on eyes don't- I think we all agree on that. A tube of AquaSeal, Goop, clear urethane caulk, a quick dot of five minute epoxy, the dreaded brain-melting Softex, etc., should be a part of the eyeball fly builders kit.

As far as not bothering with eyes goes, tons of "....they hit the one with the eyes on it..." reporting is out there, to push us to put them on to create a target for the fish.

Hi Mcfly,

I use Tulip Slick 3D fabric paint. It is a florescent paint that I think shows up better under water. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

I use epoxy eyes and coat them with thinned Soft Body (a water-based adhesive) a couple of times; they're as durable as anything else and to me the finished product is worth the extra effort.