Fly Tying
brettw919

opinions on a kit

When folks ask me about kits my answer is usually don't. They usually have stuff you will not need. I would just pick out flies that you want to tie and go from there.

Most kits come with a very basic set of tools, and a strange assortment of materials. From the look of the picture, this kit appears to have the materials that will tie the patterns pictured. The price is reasonable for the assortment shown, and you will more than likely learn something from tying the patterns pictured. From that point on, you should have gained enough knowledge to move forward and purchase more material as needed.

i was wondering what peoples thoughts on this kit was. ive already got tools and a few supplies. just looking to expand and learn a few patterns. Thanks!!

brett i bought the same kit and it comes with what seems like a good selection of materials and the book is somewhat easy to follow. i used alot of the materials for wooly buggers and the scuds and such its an alright kit but i am sure there is something better out there the best thing to do is buy the materials you need for a fly you want to tie find what fly patterns interest you the most and get the materials for those patterns that way you do not buy materials that you will not or wont use for a long time. I wish i would of just bought the materials for the flies i wanted to tie this will save you some money and the materials you buy will go towards other flies so dont feel that your just buying this material for one style of fly.

if you intend on tying the 10 flies posted below the kit in the cabelas link, then go for it. could be a good start at a tying material inventory

if not, then pick out 5-10 flies that you want to tie and buy those materials

I would have to agree with all the replies my firend. I can always see things in kits ill never use so i never really thought to buy one, got tons of stuff at the moment and still spend nothing much for it all. :lol:

I got that kit for Christmas included with the Cabelas Master vise. The vise was so poor I ended up returning the whole thing and bought a better vise and a starter assortment of materials. The materials in the kit were all about a dollars worth each of most items,not even a small retail quantity of anything. I ended up spending more but have a much larger supply of things you use all the time such as dubbing, hackle, chenille, etc. As has been already said, I just bought the colors I need for the flys I use most often (lots of wooly buggars) and can tie the basic patterns plus jazz some up at the same time.

I started on that kit, but bought my starter tools and vise from J Stockard. The kit is pretty good for starting out and learning on. I would recommend it if you're getting started but if you're looking to augment your bench then it's better to pick a few patterns and acquire the materials to tie them as has already been suggested.