Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jburge

Tenkara Swap (any style)

Having Never seen or heard of such style....Im up for the challenge If you will have me

Darrin

I'm in.

Old Hat, delighted to have you join us! Can't wait to see what you have in store :)

John

Wow This looks cool id like to give it a shot if you will have me

Gorocho Flys

Redneck, nice choice and welcome. Happy to have you join in.

John

Having Never seen or heard of such style....Im up for the challenge If you will have me

Darrin

Darrin, you betcha. You can keep 'em simple and have some fun. Happy you're in.

John

Wow, I learnt something new today. I had never heard of Tenkara flies before.

What an interesting style.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing, huh? When you think they've been around for hundreds of years and are still effective!

John

They are really cool flies but tenkara is also a whole different way of fly fishing. Very minimalistic version. I am wanting to get into tenkara and try it out on some of the small meadow and mountain brook trout streams in the area. Check out the info, gear and videos on this site.

Tenkara USA

John, any tips on getting into tenkara? What model of rod do you use? I would be using mine mostly for very small brook trout streams that are pretty brushy. I was looking at the 11ft IWANA or the EBISU. Do you have any recommendations? What about leaders? Do you use the furled leaders or a straight leader?

hello i would like to enter this swap if there are any spots left. Let me know if there is and how many flie i need to tie. i will be tying the okumikaua flies.

thanks Dave A.

e-mail is [email protected]

truckdriver,

Way to jump in with your first post :) And yep, you're in.

If you want one of your own flies back, tie up 12. If you don't, then all you need to tie is 11. Welcome!

John

i would like to join aswell! put me in if you can.

thanks!

Kevin

Kevin,

Congrats! You're the last one in, the swap is full! Glad to have you with us. I think this is going to be a great set of flies.

John

John, Let's make a Tenkara day of it this Spring. I'd like to see how this style of fly works the H2O.

Thanks again for hosting.

Later...

John, any tips on getting into tenkara? What model of rod do you use? I would be using mine mostly for very small brook trout streams that are pretty brushy. I was looking at the 11ft IWANA or the EBISU. Do you have any recommendations? What about leaders? Do you use the furled leaders or a straight leader?

'boy,

Lots of good questions that might demand an entirely different forum :-) LOL

First of all, I'd say remember it really is fly-fishing. It's not dapping as some might think. You really are casting a long line, unfolding a leader, and making a delicate presentation. It doesn't get much better.

I discovered it primarily as a backpacking alternative. I'm constantly looking for new ways to simplify and lighten my backcountry experiences. When I saw this, I thought it at least deserved a look-see. I now relish the opportunities to visit high country (Sierra mountains) streams with nothing more than a rod, a line, and a handful of flies.

Understand though, there are limitations--it just depends on what you want to accomplish. For example, if I were to head up to the Yuba River or Lower Sacramento River here in NorCal, there's no way I'd use Tenkara. Those football sized rainbow pigs would destroy the delicate tips of my Tenkara rods. They'll put a serious hurt on a 6wt! However, to sneak up on a California Golden, or brookie, or find an elusive Goose Lakes Redband trout, it's the perfect choice :-) Matter of fact, this last year I went after the California Heritage Trout Challenge -- catching and releasing six of California's native trout in their heritage waters -- and I did it (my second time), all Tenkara.

FWIW, I own two Tenkara rods -- the 12ft 6:4 Iwana and the 12ft 5:5 Ebisu. I love the lightness and backbone of the Iwana. I love the delicate "slowness" of the Ebisu. Fishing for little 6-inch redbands calls for the Ebisu. Fishing for some wild Kern River rainbows takes all of the Iwana. You'll just have to figure out where you're going to be fishing and what the fish are like to determine the rod.

That said, I'm a total convert when it comes to furled leaders. I use 'em on everything. I started furling my own using a pattern developed by Kathy Scott. And this is yet another forum :-) Ha! I've made 'em out of mono, fluoro, and Danville flymaster thread. My favorite so far are the fluoro. Although, I just picked up a bunch of new Danville thread to try some new formulas. Drop me a PM and we can discuss the finer points of furled leaders for Tenkara.

I'm just glad there's an interest, that people have open minds, and that we continue to learn that fly-fishing (regardless of "style") is an amazing and certainly, most enjoyable, pursuit.

John

Whoa, did I go way overboard...