Fly Tying
RagingBull

Material Question

What is the difference between sparkle braid and diamond braid? (if there is one)

I have been using sparkle braid for a couple years now tying crystal meth flys for erie steelhead and i have come across a couple patterns that i would like to tie up that call for diamond braid. The pictures that i have been able to find on online flyshops it looks alot like sparkle braid but they dont zoom in close enough that i can say for sure.

That's a great link!

And, with some materials, usually synthetics, they are exactly the same! They're made by the same company, but are sold as tying materials by different distributors/wholesalers who use a different name for marketing or sometimes legal purposes. A lot of todays synthetics are made for other purposes than fly tying, usually for "crafts", but once discovered by a fly tier , they quickly become a "new" tying material. :rolleyes:

Throughout the history of fly tying, even some natural materials were sold/named in pattern recipes by different names. The result of both marketing & secrecy. Professionals didn't want their competition to know what they were using, in hopes that proprietary patterns would not be produced by others, and in an attempt to attract new or existing customers they would rename materials in hopes that something "new" would bring them more business.

Same thing still applies today!

Furriers often did the same thing. They would give different names to common fur types, in an attempt to make them more attractive to buyers. (Muskrat looks a lot like some other, more expensive fur types when dyed!)

I'm sure some of the folks who dress Salmon flies could give some examples of materials that have different names. I used to know a few, but my memory sucks for some details. "Fitch" I believe is a polecat, but not sure.