Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jackalopehunter

Opening a Can of Worms

Hey all

I know this is probably going to open a can of worms asking but here it goes:

After flyfishing and tying off and on for the past 15 years for bluegills and bass, in the near future I have the opportunity to do some flyfishing out in NE Or. for trout and maybe steelhead.

Looking to start tying some flies up but due to the thousands of flies for them trying to shorten a list down to a Top Ten Must haves. :wallbash:

:help:

Thanks in Advance!

in the data base you can narrow your search for a pattern by putting in #1 trout, #2 Western US (maybe even NW US) #3 the type of fly( dry, streamer, nymph)...or you can wait on old hat and a few other experts from that area to chime in...

in the data base you can narrow your search for a pattern by putting in #1 trout, #2 Western US (maybe even NW US) #3 the type of fly( dry, streamer, nymph)...or you can wait on old hat and a few other experts from that area to chime in...

Thanks Lykos

I'll do the search in the meantime while waiting for a few others to chime in see what they have to say.

Until you know more, or learn more specific information on where and when you will be fishing. Only general advice can be given. Some good trout patterns that have proven effective almost anywhere would be where you start, and the same for Steelhead patterns.

Trout Wet or nymphs:

Hare's Ear nymphs size 16 to 10, Pheasant tail nymphs same sizes. Stonefly nymphs size 4, 6, 8, and 10 4xl.

Wooly buggers sizes 4, 6, 8, 10 in brown, olive, and black.

Copper Johns size 10 to 14.

Midge pupae, in sizes 20 to 14, and caddis worms bright green, and cream, size 16 to 10.

Cranefly larvae, cream from gray to olive creams. Sizes 4 to 12 4xl.

And yes the San Juan Worm.

Emerger patterns:

Soft hackles olive, orange, yellow floss bodies with partridge hackle size 16 to 10.

Soft hackles fur bodies with partridge hackles. Light cream to dark tan also olives.

Barrs Emerger Patterns in olive, brown, tan, grey. Sizes 18 to 12.

Cripple stlye dry flies in sizes 16 to 10.

Dry flies:

Adams, Cahills, Red and Ginger quills, ins sizes 16 to 12

Pale Morning Duns size 14, 16, and 18

Blue wing Olives sizes 14 to 22.

Elk hair caddis in sizes 6 to 18. Larger sizes can work for hoppers, and stoneflies. Body colors in tan, grey, yellow, orange, Peacock herl

Royal Wulffs, Grey or Grizzly Wulffs, Blonde Wulffs, in sizes 10, 12, 14.

Streamers:

Muddler minnows and or variations, like zonkers.

Clouser minnows.

This is a GENERAL listing of some basic patterns. It will get you started. When you know more about the hatches and locations, you can focus in on those.

Steelhead: I am no expert.

Patterns with Purple, Red, and Black seem to be very popular.

Stonefly nymphs work on Steelhead, as will large caddis worms. and wooly buggers.

Purple and Black Egg sucking leaches are also a good one.

These should keep you busy.

Utyer seemed to have covered the trout fairly well and i cant say for sure on steelhead out west but i know out east egg patterns are very good for steelhead. Sucker spawn, crystal meth's and soft otter milking eggs are my top 3 lures for steelhead. Then throw in hairs ear and stonefly with some whooly buggers and clousers and you should be good to get started. I mainly fish for steelys in the fall so im sure if your going to be up there in the spring they will be feeding on the same hatch that the trout are. It might pay to contact some fly shops around the area you are planning on fishing and get an idea for what hatches should be on during the time you are planning on heading out there.

RB gave good advice on contacting the local shops. Ask specifically about the rivers you'll be fishing and time of year. Changes can happen fast out here depending on time of year.

Everyone has offered some good advice. Utyer's post is outstanding, and would stand anybody in good stead just about anywhere.