Fly Tying
Barefoot122

Indicator Hopper

How does this float? Also what hook are you using? I tied a few of these last week and they seem to float for the first cast then sink so just wondering if maybe my hook is to heavy.

I used a Saber size 8 curved shank dry fly hook. It's a fairly light hopper hook. Did you use 2 sheets of foam stacked for the head and abdomen? Because with a single sheet I would think the fly would not float as well.

Hi. When I click on the link to go to the recipe it sends me back to the forum. This has been happening a lot lately. Can't figure out why?

I used a Saber size 8 curved shank dry fly hook. It's a fairly light hopper hook. Did you use 2 sheets of foam stacked for the head and abdomen? Because with a single sheet I would think the fly would not float as well.

I used two sheets but did not stick them together with glue just tied them in on top of each other I think I will try gluing them and then spraying them with a "sealer" to assist in them a flotation.

Jordan:

I am not familiar with the hooks you are using, but my guess is that they are too heavy for a single layer of foam. If so, two layers glued together, and without any floatant, should suffice.

perchjerker