Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Barefoot122

Pegging Beads

I read about using beads to imitate eggs for steelhead in Alaska, and I tried it with some success in Western Pennsylvania. What are people's feelings on this subject?

I read about using beads to imitate eggs for steelhead in Alaska, and I tried it with some success in Western Pennsylvania. What are people's feelings on this subject?

I have read articles on this and seen stuff for it in field and stream they coated the beads in something it may have been hot glue to give it a more supple more life-like feel when the fish picks it up.

Here you go. I use these rather than other egg patterns. I've had good success with them on touchy water such as the Taylor and Dream Stream. Lots of colors to adapt to the eggs as they change. And yes I have no shame or morals when it catching fish. http://troutbeads.com/

peggin beads is for LOSERS! :thumbsdown: Its extremely effective and so simple any beer swilling yahoo can catch fish with a set up like that. :drunk: I took up fly fishing due to the challenge and aesthetic. If I was all about catchin fish I'd start throwin power bait and scented worms. Look the last thing I'm sayin about this is that this site is called the fly tying forum. Not the bead pegging forum, or the catch fish drunk off your ass with a zebco and 5 dollar eagle claw pole, its all about the art and skill of fly tying, and fly fishing, NUFF SED!

peggin beads is for LOSERS! :thumbsdown: Its extremely effective and so simple any beer swilling yahoo can catch fish with a set up like that. :drunk: I took up fly fishing due to the challenge and aesthetic. If I was all about catchin fish I'd start throwin power bait and scented worms. Look the last thing I'm sayin about this is that this site is called the fly tying forum. Not the bead pegging forum, or the catch fish drunk off your ass with a zebco and 5 dollar eagle claw pole, its all about the art and skill of fly tying, and fly fishing, NUFF SED!

Come on, Ross, tell us how you really feel.

I don't have anything against Zebcos or 5-dollar rods.... but my impression is that pegging beads is about half a baby step away from snagging. It almost always results in fish being hooked on the outside of the mouth-- and here in Pa that is technically foul-hooked. Some say it is actually less damaging to the fish because they say the fish take eggs so deep and quickly.

They work well for trout here as well. (and grayling), but as you have already heard.....people either love them or hate them.

I like my fly rod, and it's usually the only rod I use, I have no problem using the beads. When the trout are keyed into eggs, it's either beads or glo bugs, and whats the difference, really?

Personally, I'd rather see 100 fly rods with beads than 1 guy with the braided line and treble hooks. At least the bead fisherman usually release them. (legal or not....)

Oh, and btw Freak.....the drunk guys here don't use Zebco's. That's what braided line and treble hooks are for :wallbash:

Stan biker im also from Ak, I have to say ive done alot of bead fishing and been spoiled alot by catching lots of big trout. Tis fall while fishing beads i started relizing i would rather throw a black streamer and swing it catch 1 fish instead of catching 50 on plastic. But saying that i know i will be right back on the beads in the fall. The only time i see a problem with fowl hookings is when someone has the bead like 3 or more inches a away from the hook which i beleive is illegally in alaska to have the bead that far from the hook.

(P.S. Iv been tying drys, so much better than throwing platic and split shot)

I honestly can't say that tying a foam egg is much more difficult than tying on a troutbead so it doesn't kill my conscience to use them. Not that I wouldn't rather catch a fish on a 22 BWO that I tied myself its just sometimes they work and I like to catch fish. Just yesterday I sat on my but chucking beads and slaughtering the fish as I swilled a PBR. The difference between myself and the zebco guy is I take my cans home.