Fly Tying

So for my first post I thought I would get in on this thread. I live in the middle of nowhere WA, and there is a lake nearby that is stocked with Tiger Musky by the WDFW. Not very many people target these fish, but I will tell you that in certain circumstances, a size 4 wooley bugger will take a 30" musky... Now I love throwing big flies, like VERY big flies, and I believe that is the only way to go. (go big or go home) So now I toss my favorite patterns like the E.P. Perch pattern that I tie about 8" long, or a rainbow pattern about the same. I am still relativley new to Musky, but I plan on fishing for them alot more this spring.

Welcome to the Forum Fanatik. Glad you chose to post it up on the Muskie forum. I'm loving the EP fibers for these critters as well. It doesn't soak up too much water so casting them isn't bad at all. The water coming together for spring pretty early around here so hopefully we can start getting into some fish soon.

I'm also a firm believer in bigger the better for Muskie. I've got some articulated patterns that are nothing but reverse tied bucktail and lots of schalppen. They fly pretty well with the ten weight.

I've not had any luck actually catching a musky yet but I'm still trying. This is some of of what I've been tossing. If you have any suggesstions please feel free to tell me! :)

post-272-0-02391800-1328979246_thumb.jpg

I use a 1/32" drill to open up the eye. B)

Actually someone had given me that one while I was tying at a show and I needed someplace to put it. I didn't notice it was there till I posted the picture. :)

I hooked up on 1st musky of the ths year. High muddy water and the very windy conditions push the baitfish to the banks. And the musky fallow. It hit a ceris, yellow and terquios triple tyed on 2 c70sd 4\0 and a mustad 34007 5\0 fpr the head. I exclusively fish tandem bucktail hackle flys. But the triples are very castible and the movement in the water is even better.

Thats a great looking box Paco. Gratz on your first muskie of the year too man. I'm about done with my steelheading for a while so it'll be time for me to hit the muskie water too.

HOLY CANOLI! Kodiaksalmon those flies are huge and awesome did you tie them? I realy like the first orange one and the sixth green one.

I hooked up that musky that day but the fight didnt end the way I wanted the threw the fly the 2nd or 3rd jump. But it was a good way to get the juices flowing. Its gona be a good yr. Plus I got 3 days floating with Brad Bohen in sept. Hopefully he can put me on a big fish or 2.