Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Old Hat

Critique of Flies Forum

Just a thought.

There are a lot of flies posted. It is hard to disseminate those that are showing their work and those that truly want advise. On the other hand there are a lot of people who don't give or don't feel comfortable (me included at times) to give constructive feedback, especially if a fly really needs work. mainly because you don't know what kind of response you'll get.

My thought suggestion is to have a new forum for fly critique. Patterned after some of the better photo critique sites. A person posts a fly with specific information necessary ie. how they tied it, pattern materials, size, intended imitation, etc. with the understanding that the fly will get honestly critiqued for better or worse. The responsibility of the persons giving critique rests in being thorough and constructive. No " awesome fly" or "piece of crap" comments. There should be some guidelines established to lead those giving feedback.

This could go a long way in helping tyers both experienced and new to better their tying and would be something that could really set FTF apart from other fly tying sites - Truly honest and constructive critique of flies.

Here is an example from one of the photo sites I was talking about.

1X Photo Critique Guidelines

Just a thought.

Carl

I have always considered the Beginner's Corner as a good place for getting critiques because that entire forum is for seeking advice. I still may consider a new critique forum but I don't think it should be tied into the fly database.

I would agree with Smallie, if you want it critiqued then put it in a section just for that, otherwise I think people would hesitate to put them in the database, just a thought.

I expect to have honest feedback when posting pics, I don't want to hear my flies suck, but if they're sloppy, the ribbing was done poorly, or the head is crowded I'm asking for constructive criticism. So far the two posts of my flies the pics have been to large to see well what problems I have and haven't had the chance to fix them or post new ones, but got good feedback on how to fix them and what size will work best. I did wish I had gotten more advice though. Maybe a seperate critique forum would be helpful.

I have always considered the Beginner's Corner as a good place for getting critiques because that entire forum is for seeking advice. I still may consider a new critique forum but I don't think it should be tied into the fly database.

I agree with Smallie. I would also like to see this. At time I do here from members what I "really" want to hear. If the colors don't work tell me. If the eyes are too large or to mush hackle I would like to know. The people here are THE best in the world and got that way because they want it right. I do to.

Kevin

I like Carl's idea. Another forum for folks to have their flies Honestly critiqued with a set of rules on what is needed as far as info. Once the person gets the critiques they want and feel they are tying the fly at their peak they can then post it in the database and feel confident in their work...

I agree, not tied to the database, would be a good idea Will. The beginner's Forum is definitely the closest we have to a critique forum. There is some help going on there and there are a couple members that are very good at offering suggestions and help. I have seen some get "upset" with critiques but all in all most are good about it. The "Beginner's" title might be a bit limiting. I do enjoy helping beginners with their tying, but I also enjoy (as a non beginner) constructive conversation, critique back and forth with peers of all levels and haven't really found this in the fly tying arena on the web. The "Classic" forums get the closest I've come across but again are limited to fly entry.

I for one think a critique forum would be a good addition. I think a lot of us try new stuff, I know I do, and sometimes I would like a little feedback on some new patterns. I have been tying for decades, but have never tied a foam, cork or balsa popper. I have tied thousands of bonefish flies mostly for customers, but not too much else in the way of saltwater patterns. I have been working on some saltwater patterns, that I will be posting in that forum, and I do plan on asking for critiques. I started learning the Bergman wet flys, and Mary Orvis Marbury flies last winter, and I found the Critiques I got from the Classic forums very helpfull.

I find few things inappropriate on this Forum with one exception. Someone will post a fly that is just plain bad and wait for compliments. Because we are soft hearted, there will be "good tie" or "nice fly" responses that are neither true or helpful. Drives me bonkers.

There are flies I can tie with my eyes closed and others I couldn't do with a gun to my head. I know when my fly is a POS and when it is what I intended. The problem is, if I try something new, I really can't get an honest opinion here because no one want's to hurt my feelings. Yes, many tiers, usually not so hot ones, have thin skins. These tiers probably wouldn't put something on a critique section, but I think it is a GREAT IDEA.

I find few things inappropriate on this Forum with one exception. Someone will post a fly that is just plain bad and wait for compliments. Because we are soft hearted, there will be "good tie" or "nice fly" responses that are neither true or helpful. Drives me bonkers.

and when you do post a critique other posters will pipe in or send you a PM and tell you were too hard on the tyer.

i think a lot of the thinned skinned tyers would have to toughen up and accept the fact that some of their product just isnt that good.

just sayin...

I'm very much with carl and utyer. I too have been impressed with the honest feedback on the classics forum. I am a self taught tyer and often look for critique that will actually make me a better tyer. I don't post pics of my flies because I know I will most likely only get a "nice tie" or at worst a "that looks like a real fish catcher." I am at a point where my tying is not just to catch fish. What I mean by that is that I want to look at my fly box and be proud of the flies that are there, not just know that they will catch fish. I think that a forum where I could post flies for an honest opinion and constructive criticism as to what I can do better would make me a much much better tyer.

C

but each forum that you can post a photo of a fly already has the critique option built in. all you have to do is ask for it.