Fly Tying
Maj Bob

Hook for Spider Flies?

I've been lying low for awhile - not tying or fishing much. Things are starting to settle down a bit, and I have my tying station set up once again. I'm concentrating on the North Country Spiders. There are hundreds of patterns for spider flies, nearly all of which call for "down-eyed wet fly hooks 14-18". When I peruse the listings of hooks, there are tons of wet fly hooks. Which ones do y'all recommend most?

Any and all input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bob H.

Bob

If you want a hook which conforms to the parameters you have specified I would choose Daiichi 1530.

It is 2xstout, 1xshort, has a turned down eye, a Sproat bend, a Bronze finish and has a Wide-gape.

(Of course the good old Mustad 3906 would also fill the bill.)

Many tyers of North Country spiders prefer a lighter hook and a straight eye (especially for Stewart's Spiders, etc. which are meant to be fished upstream.) For these I use TMC101

which is 1xfine, standard length, straight-eyed, a modified Perfect bend, and a bronze finish.

Another great-looking hook designed for these flies is the Daiichi "Alex Jackson North Country" hook. (It must have a number but I don't know it.)

It is a light hook (2xfine?) with a straight eye, a mini barb/ a needle point, a limerick bend and made of high carbon steel (and has a steel finish).

What you want to do is choose a hook which fits the method you will use to fish the fly.

I just use a dry fly hook like the tmc 101. The only difference is that the wet fly hooks are normally a little longer and stronger.

Interesting variation in replies. My choice would be any standard length nymph hook (standard to 2XH wire). First choice would be a TMC3769, but that's just because I have them.

I've been lying low for awhile - not tying or fishing much. Things are starting to settle down a bit, and I have my tying station set up once again. I'm concentrating on the North Country Spiders. There are hundreds of patterns for spider flies, nearly all of which call for "down-eyed wet fly hooks 14-18". When I peruse the listings of hooks, there are tons of wet fly hooks. Which ones do y'all recommend most?

Bob H.

Ck. out Donald Nicholson's site:

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/page2.html

PT/TB

Bob H.

Ck. out Donald Nicholson's site:

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/page2.html

PT/TB