Fly Tying
Flytyer14

Farmers Fair!

Any suggestions on presentation? Should I tie during the fair? And last but not least! WISH ME LUCK! (This will be interesting :D )

Please give me any tips you have haha.

When you tie at something like this some of the people will want you to give them one of your flies... like the one you just finished tying.

So you might want to have several of whatever you are tying finished before you arrive at the event. To help minimize the possibility that

someone will wind up with an hook wound I carry small pieces of foam to impale the point in when I give someone one of the flies I tie.

People are going to want to pick up and inspect your flies and/or materials more closely. Decide how you want to deal with this and

what you will say in response.

Sad to say, it is not out of the realm of possibility that someone will decide to take a fly you have on display on "a five finger discount" when

you are distracted. So figure out how to make this not easy to do by having them in a shadow box or don't put anything out for people to see

that you aren't willing to leave your custody.

When you tie at something like this some of the people will want you to give them one of your flies... like the one you just finished tying.

So you might want to have several of whatever you are tying finished before you arrive at the event. To help minimize the possibility that

someone will wind up with an hook wound I carry small pieces of foam to impale the point in when I give someone one of the flies I tie.

People are going to want to pick up and inspect your flies and/or materials more closely. Decide how you want to deal with this and

what you will say in response.

Sad to say, it is not out of the realm of possibility that someone will decide to take a fly you have on display on "a five finger discount" when

you are distracted. So figure out how to make this not easy to do by having them in a shadow box or don't put anything out for people to see

that you aren't willing to leave your custody.

Oh so true, I tye at Bass Pro Shop every week and have had many a fly just fly away.

That's great, I really do enjoy tying for the public, it also feels great to introduce people to a new hobbie. We see people every week when we tye, and sometimes even get people to come back and tye with us later on, and just being able to see them pick it up and enjoy it is a great feeling not to mention it is getting them involved in fly fishing and usually some form of wildlife conservation along with it. It is also very neat to see the looks on people's faces when they realize that you can tye your own flies and catch fish on them, most people don't know just what it's all about and can be very curious about it when they can actually see it in action.

Congrats on the fair, hope you have a great time.

Thank you guys! I have taken the precautions on theft. I really am hoping not to have any trouble. I've got lots of flies already tied up so I can give some people the flies. Thanks for the tips :)

Guest rich mc

our club tyed abunch of bright colored flies on safety pins marabou tail and ice chenille girls wanted a fly to match their fashions. foam spiders and crickets are fairly easy and inexpensive. hide your saddle feathers or they will want some for their HAIR! rich mc

Fly tier fourteen you are a great fly tier.I have know doubt that you will do well at the fair.I participated in a swap with you a while back and was pleased with the results.As a matter of fact there is a good stream by the bonner county fairgrounds that I like to fish and I had luck with the patterns I recieved from that particular swap.It was the beginners swap where I tied a clouser minnow remember!?.Any way I really enjoy fairs. And I think you will write a book or something someday because you are a great fly tier.and I really mean that.....good luck.....bye;)

Lots of luck Flytyer14! Knock it out of the park!

cheers,

shane

Thanks guys, We did alright and here's one of the flies I tied. It was a gift to the 2011 Fair Queen. A good friend of mine :D

post-25611-0-96521100-1312743319_thumb.jpg

post-25611-0-16717500-1312743636_thumb.jpg

post-25611-0-66726600-1312744705_thumb.jpg