Fly Tying
fishfuji

In Afghanistan

Just wanted to say hello. I wish I had discovered this site sooner. I've been tying for about 3 years. Taught myself while deployed to Iraq in 2008/2009. I've got a little under a month left here in Afghanistan and have been tying up fall patterns for my home water in northern NY on the west branch of the ausable and the salmon river. I wasn't planning on tying flies out here because of the hassle of getting the materials and flies back into the US through customs. I bit the bullet and started ordering materials and a used vise. I'm working on teaching myself new skills and learning new techniques, so this site turned out to be a very useful tool.

First and foremost, thank you for your service. As for the flies, just keep reading - there is an infinite amount of knowledge from tyers on this site.

Get home safe.

I'm back in Northern New York and ready to get tying and fishing. I've got a couple of patterns I tied up in Afghanistan and will be trying them out tomorrow for bass. All my usual trout rivers are running too high right now. I fished a couple of days ago before the rains and caught a few trout on some spinner patterns I tied up in the Stan. Hopefully I'll be adding a pattern or two in the next couple of weeks when inspiration strikes me. More to follow. Thanks for all the support.

Thank you for serving, and glad you made it back safe. This site will have most of your answers, you just have to ask the questions. Welcome to the forum

As a proud veteran of the USAF, I also would like to thank you for your service. Though I dont agree with the reasons why you guys are fighting, I respect you for your sacrafice nonetheless. Welcome home and I hope you get some good time out on the water.